This was a frist time project for myself. I'm always trying to prove to myself and my husband I can take these new projects on, and found this plan to be very easy to follow. I used the modified plans from "House of Wood" as the more square-ish version of the table, becuase those dimesnions were more suitable for the space I was trying to fill.
This table is quite large, and that is what drew me to it. I loved the solid-ness of it. It almost seems indestructible (something that is handy with 3 young ones running around)
Can't wait to start another project! :)
I found a local wood worker who was able to make the Balusters for me. I was grateful to find a local guy, using local wood, as I do my best to support local businesses.
For the lumbar/Hardware/mini Kreg jig it cost me: $115
For the 4 custom Balusters: $100
Stain/Poly/sand paper: $50
Estimated Time Investment
Day Project (6-9 Hours)
I chose not to pre-treat my wood before staining as I was trying to achieve the rustic look. I knew it would make it appear less uniform in colour, but thats something I felt would add to this tables character. I used the Varathane Tuscan wood stain. I did about 2 coats of stain. I applied with a lint free rag, and just wiped the stain on in thin coats. For the finish I used the Wipe-on Poly from Minwax. I applied 4 coats of the poly. In between Poly coats, I sanded with the 600 grit sandpaper, which made the wood feel buttery soft! I'm glad I didn't skimp on that part.
Recommended Skill Level