I modified the pottery barn inspired dresser to move the drawers to the bottom and the open shelf to the top so I could use this as a TV and game system console. I used all construction grade SPF, not a usual habit of mine but it turned out well. Wanted something that looked a bit rough around the edges. Stained it with Varathane stain, using Early American and Kona. The pic doesn't really do the drawers justice, the stain is a gradient with the Kona fading into the early american. The gradient really doesn't show up in the pic.
The piece compliments the Haley bed I built from Ana's plans and stained in a similar fashion