Farm house queen bed modified for box spring

This bed was built completely out of necessity. Our old 30 year old bed (including mattress) had given me my last backache. A new bed and mattress set was too expensive so I decided to build the bed and spend the saved money on a mid class mattress. So glad I did! What I built seems waaaay better than what we could have afforded. And it only took me a long weekend plus a few days waiting for stain and polyurethane to dry. Plus the return trips to HD to purchase new lumber after making wrong cuts and the cheap furring strip I bought at first continuously split on me.o t

I wanted the box spring to fit inside of the frame as much as possible. I realized the farm house queen bed plan plus the platform bed plan that I was using did not do that a bit late. By then I had already glued and screwed on the side rails. So I just flipped the frame around and decided to go with that side. Later I realized that the inside width of the bed was 57!! (60 - 3 for the frame) so I needed to return to the store to get new wood for the frame since what I cut already was 3 inches too short. My already built headboard and foot board also would not fit like the plan suggested so I needed to improvise. What you see is mainly my improvisations as a result of many, many mistakes.

My bed has two sets of legs. I did not trust the headboard and footboard legs as I could not attach them as described so I added a set to the frame itself. I also made the upholstery so that I could easily change it by unscrewing it from the head and footboards.

Estimated Cost
$90. Less than $70 initially but went up with the addition of trims and mistakes. Already had fabric and foam.
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
All pine. Premium pine for trims.
Finish Used
3 coats of Minwax polyshades in satin followed by Minwax gloss polyurethane. I applied it using foam brushes.
I would have liked it to be lighter. Just as I thought the color was good - after 2 coats - I spilled half the can of stain onto the foot board. Was forced to brush that in and add another coat to the headboard.
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Comments

moosmani

Fri, 01/10/2014 - 20:10

Oh my! I had to giggle about your experience, especially the last part when you were forced to put on another coat after spilling half the can! Been there, done that. You did a great job at improvising and I'm impressed you could keep the cost so low. I really like the dark color. Great job!

moosmani

Fri, 01/10/2014 - 20:09

Oh my! I had to giggle about your experience, especially the last part when you were forced to put on another coat after spilling half the can! Been there, done that. You did a great job at improvising and I'm impressed you could keep the cost so low. I really like the dark color. Great job!