We are in so in love with this finished piece! We made some modifications to the original plan to fit our needs. We made the top wider - 24" wide like the Pottery Barn original. We also used 4X4's for the legs and widened the distance between the legs to sit the shelves inside the legs.
We also built the second shelf. We created the second shelf to hold wine, so we modified the front of the shelf to allow for the wine bottle necks to rest. The handle was made from plumbing hardware. We got this wonderful idea from one of the posters on this site, I need to find their name to give proper credit, but it worked beautifully.
For the hutch, we also made modifications for our needs. We made it taller by 4" (so 40" tall). We used 1 X 12's for the shelves for a deeper shelf. We also raised the bottom shelf up to accommodate our Keurig coffee maker. We did not divide the middle shelf to leave a tall opening for some items we wanted to display. We also left a gap at the bottom of the hutch for cords.
Once built we distressed the entire piece, then stained with Provencial stain, and finished off with a semi-gloss poly.
The best thing, it cost about 10% of the price of the original!!