Build a custom mudroom bench! This bench features a simple, basic design that is easy to clean under and lots of room for boots, shoes, or baskets and bins. Customize with hutch or wall organization.
Free plans from Ana-White.com
Pin For Later!
- Plywood panels, 17-1/4" tall x desired depth (15-1/4" as shown) - Shelf Help Configurator Tool
- 1x3 or 1x4 boards for bay supports
- 1x boards in overall length of bench for bench top
- 1-1/4" pocket hole screws (about 20-30 per bay)
- 3/4" plywood @ 17-1/4" tall x desired bench depth, front edge finished
- 3 - 1x3 or 1x4 @ bay width (per bay)
- 1x boards in overall length for bench top
PLAN YOUR BENCH - First, measure the space and determine:
- Overall length (keep in mind 1x boards for the top are hard to source over 16 feet long). The bench shown in this photo is 14 feet long.
- Depth - choose 15-1/4", 20-1/4" or 23-1/4" depths. Note that the top may overhang on the front, increasing the overall bench depth
- Height - Should be 18" with a finished top. Finished top is usually 3/4" thick.
Design your bench using the free Shelf Help Configurator Tool using your measurements.
If not ordering from Shelf Help, cut plywood pieces and finish front edges with edge banding.
Figure the boards needed for the top. TIP: Cut boards 1" long, and then trim entire bench top after completion for square finished ends.
Join boards together edge to edge with 3/4" pocket holes and 1-1/4" pocket hole screws.
Sand top in direction of wood grain.
Attach bench top to base. Be careful to not overdrive screws into floor if assembling in a finished room.
Attach entire bench to studs in wall.