Corners in offices can be great ways to expand your space - whether you use the corner for a computer or a workspace.
With this easy plan, you can build your own corner desktop. Build bases to suit your storage needs to create the perfect corner desk system!
- 1 – Sheet of 3/4″ MDF or hardwood plywood
- Edge Banding if you are using hardwood plywood
- 4 – 1×2 Boards
- 1 – 1×3 Board
- 3″ screws for attaching the back leg OR corner brackets and screws to attach the back leg with hardware
Cut List for Tabletop Pieces
- 1 – 3/4″ MDF or Hardwood Plywood cut in a 38″ x 38″ square (you will cut off one corner in step 1)
- 2 – 1×24 boards @ 24 1/4″ (you can cut the pieces out of your scraps from the corner, dimensions 23 1/2″ x 24 1/4″)
Cut List for Trim Under Tabletop
- 1 – 1×2 @ 58 1/4″ (trim in red)
- 2 – 1×2 @ 56 3/4″ (trim in green)
- 4 – 1×2 @ 16 1/2″ (trim in blue)
- 1 – 1×2 @ 38 3/4″ (trim in yellow)
- 1 – 1×2 @ 22″ (trim in pink, cut to measurement, mitering ends 45 degrees)
Cut List for Leg
- 3 – 1×3 @ 29 3/4″ (leg pieces)
Work on a clean level surface and use proper safety precautions and equipment. Review the plans before beginning, having a clear understanding of how the plan will be put together. Predrill and countersink your screws, using glue. Check for square after each board is fastened.
Measuring the tops. Measure the tops of your bases and make sure they will fit in a 15 1/2″ x 21″ opening. If they will not, adjust the trim lengths to fit in step 3.
Tabletop Pieces. Cut out your tabletop pieces as shown above. For the corner, blue, cut a 38″ x 38″ square. Then mark on 2 sides 23 1/2″ from the back. Draw a 45 degree angle between the two points and cut off the corner.
Trim Pieces. On the underside of the tabletop, fasten the trim pieces using the 1 1/4″ screws and glue.
Start with the red board, fastening it 3″ from the back edge and 1″ from the front side edge as shown above.
Then fasten the green boards, leaving a 16 1/2″ gap between the two green boards. Next, fasten the white boards. Where the white boards span the tabletop joint, make sure you fasten to both the corner and side tabletop pieces.
Then fasten the yellow trim piece in place. Finally, measure and cut the pink piece, mitering ends in 45 degrees. Use glue and let the glue dry with the piece laying flat.
Leg. Build the leg by fastening 2 of the 1×3 boards together with glue, 1 1/4″ screws, and clamps. Let dry and fasten the remaining 1×3, again with glue and clamps and screws. Let dry. You can attach the leg to the tabletop by screwing through the top, screwing through the trim, or using corner brackets.