Simple Outdoor Dining Table

Submitted by Ana White on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 14:03

Build your own outdoor table!  We love the simple styling and clean lines of this outdoor table. This simple plan requires no special tools and is beginner friendly!  Build and enjoy this weekend!  Free plans by ANA-WHITE.com

diy outdoor dining table

Built and photographed by Mr Thompson

This modern style outdoor table is easy to build.  The matching bench plans are available here.

This plan has been updated.  The old plans are still available here.

simple modern outdoor dining table plans
Overall Dimensions are shown above.

• 4 - 2x4 @ 8 feet long (cut longest boards first)
  • 5 - 1x4 @ 8 feet long
  • 100 - 1-1/4" to 2" long - self tapping exterior screws (look for star bit ones)
  • 25 - 2-1/2" long self tapping exterior screws

3 - 2x4 @ 56-1/2" - frame

2 - 2x4 @ 28-3/4" - frame ends

4 - 2x4 @ 29-1/4" - legs

15 - 1x4 @ 31-3/4" - tabletop boards

Miter Saw

Build the frame of the table with the longer screws, two screws per joint.

Adjust for square by taking opposite diagonal measurements and adjusting until the opposite diagonals match.

Attach legs to the frame (will be easiest upside down).  Multiple screws at an angle into the legs will be stronger than screws straight on.

Clamp a straight edge to the outside of the table and lay out the tabletop boards with a 1/2" gap in between.  Screw down with the shorter screws.

For the end boards, screw to the end of the frame too - this will add considerable strength to your table.

Help Improve This Plan

We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.

Comments

Chris (not verified)

Fri, 05/21/2010 - 06:07

To make this with the 1/4" gap you instructions state make all aprons 1/4" shorter.

Is this correct or did you mean just shorten the side aprons. I do not see why this would change the end aprons length.

wazlo21 (not verified)

Sun, 05/23/2010 - 19:04

Thanks for the great site! I have been looking at purchasing a Kreg jig and after reading the directions I have a question. In a couple of the steps it says to attach two 3/4" pieces together using 2" screws. From reading up on the Kreg jigs, it looks like one should use the 1 1/4" screws. Is there a way to change a setting on the Kreg jig to keep the longer screws from poking through?

Kathy (not verified)

Tue, 06/22/2010 - 19:18

I LOVE this table and had the same question about making it larger so I took your advice for the extra supports from 2x4's and made a 10ft table. I love it! It has a few flaws but I painted it black so really, no one will notice. I have a picture but don't know where to post it.

Chantelle (not verified)

Fri, 07/09/2010 - 06:28

Thanks so much for these plans Ana! My husband and I built this table last night (using MY tools) and it turned out great!! It is even sturdier than I expected. We took your suggestion and bolted the legs so that they can be removed for easy storage in the winter. Thanks again :)

Guest (not verified)

Wed, 04/06/2011 - 06:20

Good morning,

I'm new to the website, found it searching in the wee hours of the morning and couldn't get off!!! About to go to the hardware store and start my first project. Wish me luck that I have all my fingers when done!! I was wondering if we could submit ideas and possibly get feedback? There is a potting table in PB that caught my eye and I was going to attempt it on my own, then I found your website and realized there is a chance that I could do this. It's called the Abbott-Zinc-Top Island. I realize that the top is an issue and that could be modified. I would love to have your input on this if possible. Thanks!

claydowling

Tue, 05/03/2011 - 10:28

It could definitely be made out of pallets. You might want to invest in a plane to make the surface less likely to chew your arms and hands up though. A lot of pallet wood is pretty rough. A belt sander could also work, but the plane will be faster.

FRANK H (not verified)

Thu, 05/12/2011 - 07:24

What about running the boards length wise. Any issues with just changing the direction of the support boards and then the running the tabletop boards length wise. Not sure how that would affect the aprons, if at all??