It's simple to add a canopy to our Farmhouse Bed plans. The solid wood beams are perfect for adding a touch of luxury to a bedroom space.
- 2 – 4×4 Posts, 8′ Length
- 4 – 2×4 Boards (stud or 8′ length)
- 4 – Hanger Bolts, at least 5″ Long (see below)
- 4 – Angle Brackets (see below)
- 8 – 3″ wood screws Flat headed wood screws for the brackets, at least 1 1/2″ long
- wood glue
Measure your Headboard and Footboard heights. Find the difference between the two heights (should be about 37-1/2")
- Canopy Post, Headboard – 2 – 4×4 Posts @ 24″
- Canopy Post, Footboard – 2 -4×4 Posts @ 24" + difference between height of headboard and footboard (should be about 57-1/2" cut)
Post heights are shown to work with Farmhouse Beds from Ana-White.com. Canopy top boards need to be cut to the width of the bed/length of the bed. Please see instruction steps for more information.
Cut all your pieces, as described below. You will need 2 headboard posts, 2 footboard posts, 2 canopy sides and 2 canopy ends.
You will need 4 brackets like these (the L30 – should be less than 1 dollar each) http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/L-LS-GA.asp These are available at most hardware stores. Just remember, the bracket needs to be less than 3 1/2″ wide and less than 1 1/2″ high, like the L30 bracket from Simpson Strong
Attach the Canopy Top Sides. Predrill your holes first. Rest the Canopy top sides on the Canopy Ends with the bracket. Screw in place, as shown above. There should be no visible screw holes. Sand and finish as desired. You may wish to finish the canopy unassembled, then bring it into your bedroom and assemble the prefinished pieces. I am not making any guarantee of the structure or safety of this plan. Use at your own risk.
We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.