Doll Farmhouse Bed

Submitted by Ana White on Tue, 11/16/2010 - 23:27
Starter Projects

A doll bed modeled after our Farmhouse Beds, suitable for 18" dolls. This bed is slightly wider than traditional doll beds, to look more like our Farmhouse Beds.

Collections

The Ram called from work yesterday and the conversation went something like this:

"I can barely hear you." (Ram)

"Oh, I'm out in the garage." (Me)

"Are you building something?" (Ram)

"uh, yeah . . . me and Grace just built a Farmhouse Bed." (Me)

slight pause . . . "who is the bed for?" (Ram)

How we got to the point where building a bed is no longer a big deal, I'm not quite sure.  But the Ram was quite relieved when he came home and found out who the bed was for.

Grace's doll . . . that she might get for Christmas.

And then the Ram looked over my shoulder and chuckled . . . Hey!  That looks just like our bed!

But best of all, Grace (it's not a surprise when she helps build it) absolutely loves the bed.  Grace has never had much interest in toys, so we were quite surprised to see her making the bed, putting her dolls to bed, even trying to sleep in the bed herself.  She also helped me make all the bedding from the adorable vintage fabric that I found at a local fabric store. We just bought a little bundle of precut squares and sewed it all together - not perfect, but it was something that Grace and I could do together and appreciate.

I'm really enjoying my daughter being old enough to help and have an interest in crafts.  I hope you make this bed for your daughters for the Holidays.  But most of all, I hope you make the bed together - the memories and knowing what and how something is made is more valueable than the end result.  She'll outgrow the bed, but she will not forget the experience.

The main motivation for building this bed was from the frequent request from moms everywhere.  We all want the best for our children.  But also, the pile of scrap boards sitting on my saw stand just kept nagging at me . . . make me into a doll bed!

Dimensions are shown above.

2×2 (3 feet total)
2 – 1x3s (10 feet total)
1 – 1×2 (8 feet total)
scrap 1/4″ plywood (you could even use sturdy cardboard here)
1 1/4″ Screws
2″ Screws
Wood Glue

5 – 1×3 @ 6″ (Headboard Panel)
5 – 1×3 @ 3″ (Footboard Panel)
2 – 2×2 @ 4 1/4″ (Footboard Legs)
2 – 2×2 @ 11″ (Headboard Legs)
2 – 1×2 @ 12 1/2″ (Bottom of Panels)
2 – 1×2 @ 15 1/2″ (Top of Panels)
2 – 1×3 @ 16 1/2″ (Top of Headboard and Footboard)
2 – 1×3 @ 19″ (Siderails)
2 – 1×2 @ 14″ (Bed Frame)

Drill Bit Set

Panel

Line out your panel boards as shown above. Notice how I rested the panel boards on a piece of 3/8″ plywood?

That’s so you can easily line up the panel bottom board on center. Mark and predrill holes with a countersink bit into the bottom panel boards.

And screw the bottom panel boards to the panel, as shown above. Use glue and 1 1/4″ screws.

Legs

Now attach the legs to the panel with 2″ screws and glue. Be careful to screw into the panel boards and the bottom.

Top of Headboard

Finally, screw the top of the headboard to the headboard, centering on the headboard. You only need 2 screws and glue here.

See the size compared to the glue? It’s so cute!

Footboard

Now build the footboard just like the headboard.

Here is both my footboard and headboard. I used scraps, and that’s why you see some pink paint on the legs. I’m not a big fan of waste.

Frame

Now screw the siderails to the frame as shown above. If you have a daughter anything like mine, a third support should be placed in the center. Place more supports if you are using flimsy material (ie cardboard) for the top.

Assembly

Now simply predrill holes and screw the frame to the headboard and footboard.

Platform

And just lay plywood on top.

Finishing Instructions
Finish Used
I filled all my holes with wood filler and let dry. Then I sanded with 120 grit sandpaper. Then I brushed on primer and two coats of Antique White by Valspar in Satin.

Comments

gcbcmama

Wed, 01/04/2012 - 07:55

I found your site today and first let me say I am amazed! You are very talented. My daughter wants a bed for her doll, so I'm going to give it a try. I must say, I am very nervous...I make a lot of crafts, but this would be taking it to the next level.

spiceylg

Wed, 01/04/2012 - 09:36

Don't be nervous gcbcmama. Like most that follow Ana's blog, I was a total beginner and have made several of these to sell. Her directions are broken down so they are really easy to follow. Welcome and happy building!

Carol Skippysmom (not verified)

Wed, 02/29/2012 - 09:59

The bed turned out as cute as the picture. BUT the horizontal piece that hangs over the bed on the footboard needs to be moved back (away from the bed) so there is a little more room for the doll's feet. There are barely 18" for the doll so it's a tight fit.

Xena (not verified)

Mon, 10/22/2012 - 17:54

This is sooooooo cool!!! I wanted to have a small dool bed for a very dear stuffed bear of mine since I could talk! Even though I'm a bit old for this I'm still going to try and make one, just incase I can let my future children have my dear stuffed bear. Thank you for posting this!!!

Jessie Murphy (not verified)

Mon, 12/03/2012 - 11:33

I saw somewhere that you used this same plan (or the regular farmhouse bed) and made a bunk bed for the dogs. Do you have this plan posted? I've been looking all over and am dying to make it for my two pups!

grampa george (not verified)

Mon, 12/10/2012 - 13:08

do not cut the two 14" 1x2's until the head & foot boards are completed. Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but after building the frame (step #10) i found the frame was a bit too big (by 3/8")-the frame extended past the head & foot boards. I cut 3/8" off of the 14" pieces & then completed the bed. Either my 1x3's or 2x2's were a bit wider, in any case i would leave the cutting of the 14" 1x2's til the end.
I finished the bed for my grandaughter (a christmas present!) and it is really beautiful. I used a nail gun so it was a very easy project; your directions are great--thank you.
George

ps-do you know where i can find plans for a tressel desk (something approx 24" by 48"

aj Freego

Tue, 07/30/2013 - 22:36

I am working on this doll bed . It is my second one and I love it and it helps me relax.
Keep up the good work

Big Al

momofour09

Fri, 08/16/2013 - 07:00

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. But, I was wondering what size countersink bit was used. I believe I have a 1/2" but I've never used it because it kind of scares me. Also, did you countersink all screws that would be visible? I made one last night but because I didn't have wood filler I just skipped the countersinking, but obviously it would be sturdier and more professional looking with it. I'm just curious b/c I have to make a few more within the next 2 weeks and would love to know before I begin.

Thanks in advance!
Plans are awesome and my girls loved it even with my mistakes :)