Hailey Platform Bed Frame

Submitted by Ana White on Mon, 08/19/2019 - 18:21

Build your own bed frame!  This platform style bed frame is easy to build with off the shelf lumber and basic construction.  Stain or paint to match your style or decor.  Our free plans include step by step diagrams, shopping lists and cut list.

Related: Pair with our matching headboard plans.

modern kids platform bed wood farmhouse style
wood platform bed frame diy

This bed was designed and built in partnership with my friend Whitney at Shanty2Chic. Please take a second to stop over and visit Whitney at Shanty2Chic for lots more details and photos on this bed.

wood platform diy bed frame

• 4 – 2x6 @ 8 feet long or stud length
  • 2 – 2x2 @ 75”
  • 1 – 2x4 @ 75”
  • 2 – 1x3 @ 79”
  • 1 – 1x2 @ 54”
  • 1 – 1x3 @ 54”
  • 4 – 2x4 @ 7”
  • 28 – 1x3 @ 27" OR Box spring measuring 54” x 75” max overall - slats are cut in half to maximize materials of an 8' long board
Drill Bit Set
General Instructions

Please read through the entire plan and all comments before beginning this project. It is also advisable to review the Getting Started Section. Take all necessary precautions to build safely and smartly. Work on a clean level surface, free of imperfections or debris. Always use straight boards. Check for square after each step. Always predrill holes before attaching with screws. Use glue with finish nails for a stronger hold. Wipe excess glue off bare wood for stained projects, as dried glue will not take stain. Be safe, have fun, and ask for help if you need it. Good luck!

Build the 2x6 frame as shown above.

Attach cleats to inside for supporting slats. Use 2" screws and glue.

This middle support is important for full size or larger beds. Attach so top is level with top of cleats.

Now we can start trim out. Add trim so it's flush on insides and at head of bed.

NOTE: Kreg Jig users make frame first, and then attach complete frame to bed.

You can taper the legs, or even use store bought tulip feet for a fancier foot. Attach to base of bed.

Now add the slats. Slat placement and number of slats is dependent of your mattress requirements.

If you find your bed needs a little extra support in the center, here's the best way to beef it up.

Finishing Instructions
Preparation Instructions
Fill all holes with wood filler and let dry. Apply additional coats of wood filler as needed. When wood filler is completely dry, sand the project in the direction of the wood grain with 120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum sanded project to remove sanding residue. Remove all sanding residue on work surfaces as well. Wipe project clean with damp cloth.

It is always recommended to apply a test coat on a hidden area or scrap piece to ensure color evenness and adhesion. Use primer or wood conditioner as needed.

Comments

Guest (not verified)

Wed, 01/18/2012 - 23:48

OMG!! I love the bed!! what a great idea. might have to think about it for my king size bed. love the simplicity of it! thanks for sharing

Guest (not verified)

Thu, 01/19/2012 - 07:44

Question ~ if I have a boxspring, I just omit the additional 1x3's? I can't wait to make this for my son !!

~Melody (not verified)

Thu, 01/19/2012 - 15:54

I love the look and ease of the directions of this bed. However, I was wondering how difficult it would be to raise the bed more. Much more. I'm one of those people who prefer high beds. Any thoughts on how to switch it up?

I was thinking instead of using tapered 2x4's for the feet, to use straight cut 4x4's in the taller measurement that I'm interested in. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ash (not verified)

Sat, 02/18/2012 - 12:09

Wonderful project. I just finished making the bed and applied the stain. should I be applying a poly protective coat after the first stain coat? I applied the stain with a natural bristle, is it recommended or cloth is better? will be starting the headboard next :)

Thanks for sharing this great project.

Amanda Crawford (not verified)

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 16:20

Is there another link for the headboard and how/where to attach it to the platform bed frame? This bed is awesome!

Michelle Wolff… (not verified)

Tue, 03/13/2012 - 21:49

Hi - we tried to use the print friendly version of the bed plans but it prints blank pages past the first views and the pdf version will not load - just fyi - thx for posting the plans!

Terry H. (not verified)

Mon, 04/30/2012 - 16:18

Hi Ana,

I'm interested in using some of your information and photos in an ebook I'm writing. Would you be agreeable to that? Of course, I would credit you for your work as well as displaying clickable links to your website.

Thanks,
Terry

KirstinD (not verified)

Wed, 05/02/2012 - 10:01

My best friend is getting ready to build this bed for my son's room. We just went and bought all the wood and the stain today. I can't wait to see it all done and in his new room. He's going to love it!!

Thanks for posting this, your ideas are beautiful and brilliant!

James (not verified)

Sat, 06/09/2012 - 19:15

I would love to get the headboard instructions.

I also was wondering about changing it so the bed is set on an existing base? I have a waterbed frame base that I believe would look great. I like a high bed cause of my height. Suggestions on setting the paltform bed on a base? I hope this makes sense.

Nicole McRae (not verified)

Fri, 06/15/2012 - 05:50

Hi all, you can find the headboard plans if you search "hailey" on this site. Two plans will come up, one is the headboard and one the frame itself. They both have the same picture!

I'm about to cut, stain and assemble today...had to buy spruce bc the stores didn't have pine in the dimensions I needed. Had the big pieces cut at the store (went with 2x10's for the base) and the smaller pieces I'm cutting with a handsaw using a square to mark. Also, since I'm not building the headboard, I extended the length of the 1x3's on the side by 1" and and going to use a 1x3 trim at the top. I have two pieces I'd wall trim, so this should allow clearance for that.

Cheers!

Kat Bartle (not verified)

Fri, 06/15/2012 - 15:12

Hi,

I am planning on tackling this project this weekend; my first project with my brand new Kreg Jig!

But, I am having a bit of trouble working through the trim application in my head. The plans note that KJ users should make frame first and then attach it to the bed.....would you recommend putting the frame together with three inch screws (countersunk) from the outside of the frame? I'm having trouble thinking of another way. One couldn't do it with a Kreg Jig (to my knowledge), because of the 1.5" maximum thickness.

Once the frame assembly problem is solved, would you attach it by drilling pocket holes into inside the main (original/big) bed frame with the trim being the screw-receiving lumber?

Katherine Bartle (not verified)

Fri, 06/15/2012 - 15:15

Hi,

WWRookie

Thu, 07/12/2012 - 10:05

Good afternoon, I am fairly new to the wood working world, I would like to build this bed for my daughter and I have printed the plans for both the frame and the headboard. I'm curious how you bolt them together? the headboard looks flush from top to bottom but the frame is going to have an overhang of approx an inch and a half? That's the only part I'm having a hard time with!

Lukemeister (not verified)

Tue, 08/28/2012 - 21:41

Very nice, I've been toying with building something like this for a king, thanks for the insight regarding the construction approach, would probably add more supports with a king and maybe more legs but looks doable... and I'd maybe drop it down a few more inches to keep our cats from hiding out underneath

triskelion

Sun, 07/07/2013 - 16:41

I was looking at making this into a king sized bed as well and was wondering if you had come up with the dimension and appropriate design changes. Would love to know if you have.

Thanks!!!

momofour09

Mon, 11/26/2012 - 11:14

What would be the cut-list for a twin? And as the one commenter asked, can I use a boxspring and mattress or just the mattress?

ancutrer

Sun, 02/24/2013 - 19:17

i would love to build this in a KING both bed and headboard. Can you please email me the plans for both? Also is there something explaining how to connect the two?

Brad L.

Tue, 07/16/2013 - 18:54

I'm considering doing this for my 1st project from this site. I haven't really seen anybody use red cedar to build with. Would that be a decent wood to choose?

toya0908

Mon, 08/19/2013 - 10:52

there is one on here that is for a twin platform bed and I made it for my son and it is with real wood and very sturdy and he loves it. Today I am building this full size one I hope you do it

toya0908

Mon, 08/19/2013 - 10:53

edgarIII

Wed, 10/23/2013 - 15:51

This may be dumb as I am just a beginner, but does anyone know what kind of wood and stain is used in the actual picture? I love that look. Thanks!

Livelife7

Sun, 12/29/2013 - 11:39

I am in love with this bed frame! Being new to building, is there any way I can get the dimensions for building this bed as a standard King sized bed for the base and headboard?

ibthemom

Tue, 02/11/2014 - 11:45

How would I adjust the height for this bed? I want to use it with a box spring and mattress

ibthemom

Tue, 02/11/2014 - 11:45

calexander0814

Tue, 04/01/2014 - 18:19

If I was to use a box spring with my mattress would I leave out the slats and just use the edging or just adjust the depth of the edging, slats, and middle support with legs? Also, would you change the feet for the bed too?

I really like this bed and would like to tackle this bed for my sons first big boy bed, which I think he will love moving into.

Any advise would be great.

skyzen

Wed, 04/30/2014 - 12:16

I have a small room and a 6 inch mattress to put on it. Can i make it using 1x6 boards instead of 2x6s? I am thinking of using 2x4 as center support and then putting a plywood on top.

redredbeard

Fri, 01/16/2015 - 23:33

Ok, since everyone was asking, here are the details for the King size... I have added another support to the frame with additional feet (8 total, instead of originally 6) to accommodate the larger size. This is the 2x4 that goes top to bottom between the frame, in this version you will have 2, both with legs. This is assuming a standard US king size of 76" x 80". To do the math yourself, add 5" to length and 22" to width from standard measurements.

Shopping List: Same, but add an extra 2x4x10 (you might be able to get away with an 8)

Length and Width cuts will be marked with (L) and (W) respectively.

Cutouts:
2 - 2x6 @ 80" (L)
2 - 2x6 @ 79" (W)
2 - 2x2 @ 80" (L)
2 - 2x4 @ 80" (L)
2 - 1x3 @ 84" (L)
1 - 1x2 @ 76" (W)
1 - 1x3 @ 76" (W)
8 - 2x4 @ 7" (Feet)
15 - 1x3 @ 76" (W - Slats)

If people like this I will do this for the headboard as well.

mad212

Wed, 02/25/2015 - 10:41

Can anyone confirm if my queen size cuts are right (which I doubt they are)? I've never built anything except for a couple speaker boxes when I was a kid. I really want to try to build it this weekend as I just got a new queen mattress.

2 - 2x6 @ 80" (L)
2 - 2x6 @ 63" (W)
2 - 2x2 @ 80" (L)
2 - 2x4 @ 80" (L)
2 - 1x3 @ 84" (L)
1 - 1x2 @ 60" (W)
1 - 1x3 @ 60" (W)
4 - 2x4 @ 7" (Feet)
14 - 1x3 @ 60" (W - Slats)

Ana White Admin

Wed, 02/25/2015 - 11:25

Be sure to measure your mattress. As stated in the plan just above the "cut list" . "This bed is for full size mattresses. To convert to twin, subtract 15" from width. To convert to queen, add 6" to width AND 5" to length. This assumes bed sizes of TWIN: 39" x 75" FULL: 54" x 75" QUEEN: 60" x 80"."

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors