Hailey Platform Bed Frame

Submitted by Ana White on Mon, 08/19/2019 - 18:21

Build your own bed frame!  This platform style bed frame is easy to build with off the shelf lumber and basic construction.  Stain or paint to match your style or decor.  Our free plans include step by step diagrams, shopping lists and cut list.

Related: Pair with our matching headboard plans.

modern kids platform bed wood farmhouse style
wood platform bed frame diy

This bed was designed and built in partnership with my friend Whitney at Shanty2Chic. Please take a second to stop over and visit Whitney at Shanty2Chic for lots more details and photos on this bed.

wood platform diy bed frame
This bed is for full size mattresses. To convert to twin, subtract 15" from width. To convert to queen, add 6" to width AND 5" to length. This assumes bed sizes of TWIN: 39" x 75" FULL: 54" x 75" QUEEN: 60" x 80"

• 4 – 2x6 @ 8 feet long or stud length
  • 2 – 2x2 @ 75”
  • 1 – 2x4 @ 75”
  • 2 – 1x3 @ 79”
  • 1 – 1x2 @ 54”
  • 1 – 1x3 @ 54”
  • 4 – 2x4 @ 7”
  • 28 – 1x3 @ 27" OR Box spring measuring 54” x 75” max overall - slats are cut in half to maximize materials of an 8' long board
Drill Bit Set
General Instructions

Please read through the entire plan and all comments before beginning this project. It is also advisable to review the Getting Started Section. Take all necessary precautions to build safely and smartly. Work on a clean level surface, free of imperfections or debris. Always use straight boards. Check for square after each step. Always predrill holes before attaching with screws. Use glue with finish nails for a stronger hold. Wipe excess glue off bare wood for stained projects, as dried glue will not take stain. Be safe, have fun, and ask for help if you need it. Good luck!

Build the 2x6 frame as shown above.

Attach cleats to inside for supporting slats. Use 2" screws and glue.

This middle support is important for full size or larger beds. Attach so top is level with top of cleats.

Now we can start trim out. Add trim so it's flush on insides and at head of bed.

NOTE: Kreg Jig users make frame first, and then attach complete frame to bed.

You can taper the legs, or even use store bought tulip feet for a fancier foot. Attach to base of bed.

Now add the slats. Slat placement and number of slats is dependent of your mattress requirements.

If you find your bed needs a little extra support in the center, here's the best way to beef it up.

Finishing Instructions
Preparation Instructions
Fill all holes with wood filler and let dry. Apply additional coats of wood filler as needed. When wood filler is completely dry, sand the project in the direction of the wood grain with 120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum sanded project to remove sanding residue. Remove all sanding residue on work surfaces as well. Wipe project clean with damp cloth.

It is always recommended to apply a test coat on a hidden area or scrap piece to ensure color evenness and adhesion. Use primer or wood conditioner as needed.

Comments

Ash (not verified)

Sat, 02/18/2012 - 12:09

Wonderful project. I just finished making the bed and applied the stain. should I be applying a poly protective coat after the first stain coat? I applied the stain with a natural bristle, is it recommended or cloth is better? will be starting the headboard next :)

Thanks for sharing this great project.

Amanda Crawford (not verified)

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 16:20

Is there another link for the headboard and how/where to attach it to the platform bed frame? This bed is awesome!

Michelle Wolff… (not verified)

Tue, 03/13/2012 - 21:49

Hi - we tried to use the print friendly version of the bed plans but it prints blank pages past the first views and the pdf version will not load - just fyi - thx for posting the plans!

Terry H. (not verified)

Mon, 04/30/2012 - 16:18

Hi Ana,

I'm interested in using some of your information and photos in an ebook I'm writing. Would you be agreeable to that? Of course, I would credit you for your work as well as displaying clickable links to your website.

Thanks,
Terry

KirstinD (not verified)

Wed, 05/02/2012 - 10:01

My best friend is getting ready to build this bed for my son's room. We just went and bought all the wood and the stain today. I can't wait to see it all done and in his new room. He's going to love it!!

Thanks for posting this, your ideas are beautiful and brilliant!

James (not verified)

Sat, 06/09/2012 - 19:15

I would love to get the headboard instructions.

I also was wondering about changing it so the bed is set on an existing base? I have a waterbed frame base that I believe would look great. I like a high bed cause of my height. Suggestions on setting the paltform bed on a base? I hope this makes sense.

Nicole McRae (not verified)

Fri, 06/15/2012 - 05:50

Hi all, you can find the headboard plans if you search "hailey" on this site. Two plans will come up, one is the headboard and one the frame itself. They both have the same picture!

I'm about to cut, stain and assemble today...had to buy spruce bc the stores didn't have pine in the dimensions I needed. Had the big pieces cut at the store (went with 2x10's for the base) and the smaller pieces I'm cutting with a handsaw using a square to mark. Also, since I'm not building the headboard, I extended the length of the 1x3's on the side by 1" and and going to use a 1x3 trim at the top. I have two pieces I'd wall trim, so this should allow clearance for that.

Cheers!

Kat Bartle (not verified)

Fri, 06/15/2012 - 15:12

Hi,

I am planning on tackling this project this weekend; my first project with my brand new Kreg Jig!

But, I am having a bit of trouble working through the trim application in my head. The plans note that KJ users should make frame first and then attach it to the bed.....would you recommend putting the frame together with three inch screws (countersunk) from the outside of the frame? I'm having trouble thinking of another way. One couldn't do it with a Kreg Jig (to my knowledge), because of the 1.5" maximum thickness.

Once the frame assembly problem is solved, would you attach it by drilling pocket holes into inside the main (original/big) bed frame with the trim being the screw-receiving lumber?

Katherine Bartle (not verified)

Fri, 06/15/2012 - 15:15