Twin Storage (Captains) Bed

Submitted by Ana White on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 13:12

We already have a storage daybed plan, and it has been very very popular. But this plan is for a twin storage bed, meaning it has storage on three sides. This bed is also (in my opinion) easier to build. But the downside is the cubbies are not as deep and there is less storage. Special thanks to Shanty 2 Chic for sharing their amazing photos with us.

Dimensions for a Twin. Full, queen, and even king plans available online.

Please reference the full size bed for a materials list here.

Common Materials
120 grit sandpaper
primer
wood conditioner
paint
paint brush

CUT LIST FOR TWIN END BASE UNIT ONLY
2 – 1×12 @ 39″ (Tops and Bottoms of the Boxes)
2 – 1×12 @ 15″ (Sides of the Boxes)
1 – 1×12 @ 12 3/4″ (Center Divider of Boxes)
1/4″ Plywood or MDF @ 15″ x 40 1/2″ (Back of Box)
2 – 1×2 @ 40 1/2″ (Top and Bottom Trim)
2 – 1×2 @ 12″ (End Trim)
11 – 1×3 @ 15 1/2″ (Slats) (you can buy a couple less 1x3s for the twin version)

Cutting Instructions

You will need to review the <a href="/2010/05/furniture-plans-full-size-storage-bed.html">Full Size Bed Plans</a> to make the longer side cubbies first. This plan is simply for the end bench to convert the Full to Twin.

Brad Nailer
General Instructions

REFERENCE THE FULL SIZE PLAN
This plan is a basic modification of the full size bed that you will find here. Please reference this plan for the shopping list, tools, and general instructions. Remember, you will need to build (2) side bases from the full size plan, but DO NOT BUILD the end base unit. The following plan will replace the end base unit from the Full Size Storage Bed Plan.

Build the two side benches from the full size bed (shown above). DO NOT build the end bench. Instead, you will build this bench as follows, sized for a twin mattress.

BUILD THE BOX
Build your box using 2″ screws and glue as shown above. Check for square.

BACK
Attach the back with 1 1/4″ Screws and glue

TRIM
Fasten with 1 1/4″ finish nails and glue the trim to the face. You can alternately use screws, but if you are staining, the screw heads will be difficult to hide. Another option is to build the frame using a Kreg Jig™ and then attach to the face.

Finishing Instructions
Preparation Instructions
Follow the instructions for the Full Size Storage Bed for finishing and assembly.

Comments

artkdz (not verified)

Thu, 05/20/2010 - 14:00

this would be cool even in a single kid's bedroom where one side is used as a bed and the other as a couch/ sleepover area. Just put some cushions or big pillows along the wall behind it and presto - a couch. Will definitely have to consider this when my munchkin is older.

The Trees (not verified)

Thu, 05/20/2010 - 15:44

Wow, i love these plans! Thanks so much! Such a great use of space. Would you be willing to make some plans for that top hutch part to the center unit. I'm so greatful you are so willing to share your talents. I'm a beginner and so far your plans have made building easy and inspire confidence. Thanks!

Yolanda (not verified)

Thu, 05/20/2010 - 16:06

Wow. What a gift, Ana. Thank you for posting the entire collection in a single day. I bet these would be great with a hinged door and a simple magnetic latch. Could hide a lot of clutter and no drawers to build.

Liana Brooks (not verified)

Fri, 05/21/2010 - 01:47

Perfect! We're going to buy bed this morning and this is just what I wanted. It's going to be my first wood working project (this and a bookcase). Hopefully I can follow directions well enough to send you some pretty pictures.

*hugs and warm weather from the south*
L

Ahren (not verified)

Fri, 05/21/2010 - 04:56

Ana, I would really like to see your plan for a basic workbench to build all your awesome plans. I'm curious to see what your workbench looks like at the moment too. The workbench is the basic of all woodworking projects I am told. But I don't currently have one because they all seem rather complicated to build. If anyone can design it simple, affordable and chic, I know it would be you. ~Ahren in Austin, TX. (for Big Z Creations)

vanesavesalot (not verified)

Fri, 05/28/2010 - 03:57

the plans shown in this blog are great.
I'm really on a budget and don't have money to spend in expensive furniture.
I found great ideas here.
Thanks

Cara (not verified)

Tue, 07/06/2010 - 04:48

I would also like to see the hutch that goes along with this collection. This is going to be my project this winter!

cjojo43789 (not verified)

Thu, 09/16/2010 - 08:51

We can't wait to build two of these for our twins' new 'big boy' beds! Unfortunatly there room is too small to add the corner hutch, so we'll just have the two beds. So excited to look through the rest of the plans to finish their room!

cjojo43789 (not verified)

Thu, 09/16/2010 - 08:51

We can't wait to build two of these for our twins' new 'big boy' beds! Unfortunatly there room is too small to add the corner, so we'll just have the two beds. So excited to look through the rest of the plans to finish their room!