Outdoor Daybed with Canopy

Submitted by Ana White on Wed, 07/03/2019 - 19:45

Create a backyard retreat by building your own outdoor daybed with canopy designed to fit a standard twin mattress.  This plan uses standard off the shelf lumber and basic tools to construct.  Check out the step by step diagrams and materials list below.

pretty outdoor daybed with canopy diy

Reader submitted photo by TAMTAMW

This plan has been updated.  If you need the original plans you can find them here.

outdoor daybed dimensions diagram with canopy
Fits Standard Twin Mattress

13 - 2x4 @ 10 feet long

2 - 2x6 @ 10 feet long

2 - 2x2 @ 8 feet long

Use leftover 2x4s, 2x2s and 2x6s for the mattress slats @ 39" (cut to fit)

Common Materials
2 1/2 inch screws

4 - 2x4 @ 80" - legs

6 - 2x4 @ 36-1/2" - ends

2 - 2x6 @ 36-1/2" - ends

2 - 2x6 @ 75" - front/back

9 - 2x4 @ 75" - front/back and cleats

4 - 2x2 @ 31-1/2" - back trim

Use leftover 2x4s, 2x2s and 2x6s for the mattress slats @ 39" (cut to fit)

Kreg Jig

SIDE PANELS

Build your side panels as shown above. Drill two 1-1/2" pocket holes on both ends of all horizontal boards shown.  Attach to the legs with 2-1/2" pocket hole screws. Build 2 side panels.

Pocket holes can be filled with plugs or exterior appropriate wood filler.

Drill two pocket holes on each end of all the horizontal boards shown.  Drill three per end for 2x6 boards.

Attach to the legs with 2-1/2" pocket hole screws.  Keep pocket holes on insides to keep hidden.

Attach 2x2s to back side of daybed with 2-1/2" self tapping exterior screws, flush to back edge.

Attach back slats to the 2x2 with 2-1/2" screws.

You can also attach from outside of leg with 2-1/2" screws.

Complete the trim out of the back by adding 2x2s and 2x4 cap with the 2-1/2" screws.

Attach 2x4 cleats inside the 2x6 bed aprons with 2-1/2" screws every 8" approximately.

Measure and cut the slats to fit.  Lay on the cleats and screw down with 2-1/2" screws.

Finishing Instructions
Preparation Instructions
Your project should already be finished. You can go back over with a paintable silicone or wood filler and fill any exposed holes, then lightly sand and add a touch up coat.
Help Improve This Plan

We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.

Comments

Kilobelle (not verified)

Sat, 06/05/2010 - 15:15

Hey ana, a I right in that the 2 x 4 for the cleats is missing from the shopping list, but it's on the cut list.

Tree (not verified)

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 12:02

I am new to your site and...I am in love! What you are doing is so fabulous! I love this daybed! How would I alter this for a full matress? My daughter is in need of an upgrade and her bed is just on a metal frame. I would love to surprise her with this! Thanks for sharing your gift!

Carrie and 3Chicks (not verified)

Mon, 09/06/2010 - 07:29

Kilobelle, I've used 1x6 for cleats before. I think you'll be fine. Remember though that the slats sit on this. You'll then want an outside board that will be even wider to hide the slats. Think too, that you'll be altering how high the actual box spring & mattess.

I'd just run out and grab a couple $1.98 2x4's instead of doing all that changing of the plan layout to make it work.

kbailey22 (not verified)

Mon, 09/06/2010 - 17:27

I love this bed! I just finished making it for our little girl and posted the pictures on here. I actually modified it to be full-sized to go with the mattress set we already had. And we already had it on a metal frame, so I was kind of lazy and actually built the bed around the frame instead of adding slats and putting the mattress on top! Tree, I just changed the length of everything that was 39" to be 54" (which is the width of my bed... I think I actually did 54 1/2 to allow for space around the metal bed frame). Then it just went together the same way! I added an extra support piece on the side panels to hold the slats up since they were wider. It all went together so easily. If you want to make this, don't hesitate! You can totally do it!

nate (not verified)

Tue, 02/22/2011 - 09:42

I'm thinking pretty hard about putting one of these on my rooftop deck, however it gets a bit windy, so I'm considering 4x4's instead of 2x2's for the posts. Would that substantially effect the plan?