Type of saw

Submitted by Sus on Sat, 03/08/2014 - 15:26

I'm a complete Newby to making furniture and am confused with the type of saw(s) I will be needing. Is there one saw that I can get that can meet most of my needs if I want to eventually try to make a headboard, table and chairs? What is the difference between the different saws?



Thu, 03/13/2014 - 05:38

Hi Sus,

Mitre saw (usually powered but you can also get manual ones) - best for cutting wood to the right length (cross-cutting) and making 45 degree cuts (mitres).

Circular saw (sometimes called a rip saw) - best for cutting wood to the right width (called ripping). I wouldn't use one for cross cutting - it's not safe. Good for cutting large sheets using a guide rail.

Hand saw - great for cross cutting. Ripping is REALLY hard work but can be done.

To start with you should get a mitre saw. You could do almost all of Ana's projects with a mitre saw or a hand saw.

Does that answer your question or did I misunderstand?


Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors