I built a square box frame coffee table! It was easy to build using 2x2 furring strips and 1x12 boards. I spent about $50 on the coffee table. It turned out so well, I am sharing the free plans!
Step by step build plans with diagrams, shopping list, cut list and free matching plans - build the entire collection and transform your living room!
Pin For Later!
- 4 - 2x2 @ 8 feet long
- 1 - 1x12 @ 9 feet long (need 9 board feet total)
- 18 - 2-1/2" self tapping trim screws (for building the 2x2 frame)
- 30 - 1-5/8" self tapping trim screws (for attaching tabletop)
- 3 - 1x12 @ 33-3/4" - tabletop boards
- 4 - 2x2 @ 15-1/4" - legs
- 4 - 2x2 @ 30-3/4" - horizontals
- 5 - 2x2 @ about 30-3/4", 3" shorter than the width of the 3 - 1x12s together
Cut the 1x12s boards, layout and measure the width of the three 1x12 boards - if it doesn't match the diagrams, you will need to adjust a some of the 2x2 cuts (as noted in the cut list).
If you have a pocket hole jig, attach the 1x12s together with 3/4" pocket holes and 1-1/4" pocket hole screws.
TIP: Stain the tabletop boards if doing a two tone finish. Avoid staining the underside, as raw wood is better for bonding to the frame with glue.
Cut the 5 remaining 2x2s to fit the width of the three 1x12s. Attach to the two side frames.
Place the frame on a level surface and make sure it sits flat. Let the glue dry.
Fill screw holes with wood filler. Sand well and removed sanding residue.
Paint or stain the frame, but leave the top edges raw wood (so the wood can bond with the underside of the tabletop).