Back to School Locker Shelf

I have loads of space in the entry by the front door, but we never use that entrance. I needed a mini-mudroom to fit in the hallway by the garage door. I wanted a locker cabinet to hold everything we need to walk out the door on a school morning, and a home for all the clutter on my kitchen countertops, all without disrupting the flow of traffic in the hall.

I followed the instructions in Ana's plans, but modified the dimensions. I made the top and bottom shelves 14" high, the tall lockers 28"x14", and the square shelves in the middle 14"x14". Drawing up the plans with new dimensions and making my own cut and buy lists took a lot more math than I expected!

This was my third project, and it's gotten easier to be more precise. However I did put one board on with the pocket holes facing outward. I attached 3 hooks to cover the holes, and ended up loving this feature. The build came together fairly quickly, but the finishing process took a couple of weeks.

I love my new command center, my husband loves the clutter-free kitchen, and the kids actually use the thing!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
~$85
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Pine boards for the shelf, 1/4" hardwood plywood for the backing
Finish Used
I saw some stained and stenciled tabletops on Pinterest, and used this idea for the backing of the shelf. I like the dark stained wood, but the herringbone pattern really brightens up the hallway.



First I applied Minwax Wood Conditioner. I mixed half a large can of leftover Minwax Provincial with a small can of Minwax Dark Walnut. I did 2 coats of stain on both the shelf and back panel.



For the herringbone pattern, I first measured and taped the vertical strips that would be covered by the vertical shelf dividers (basically dividing it into thirds). Then I calculated some more, and divided each of those sections into thirds as well. Then, using a square and a metal yardstick, I marked all of the vertical tape lines every 1.25" (the width of the yardstick). I then placed the smaller strips of tape at a 45 degree angle, by using the marks on the tape as a guide (essentially connecting the dots).



I used Valspar 8oz paint samples from Lowe's in Fireside and Birchwood White. I applied 2 coats of paint using a makeup sponge. I placed the orange strips randomly to keep the eye from getting too caught up in the pattern. The whole process was tedious, but when I pulled off the tape, it was so worth it!



Next I applied 3 coats of Minwax Polyacrylic, sanding before, between, and after coats.



Also, I completely finished the shelf and the backing before attaching them with glue and panel nails.
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Comments

bhoppy

Sat, 08/10/2013 - 18:41

What an awesome way to cover the holes! The back looks like it took a long time to get the tape right but it looks so good!

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors