Blanket chest

Submitted by dbizzle on Sat, 04/19/2014 - 18:51

My wife wanted a new chest to store blankets in. I saw the plans for the Becca and thought it would be perfect for what we were after.

I used some regular plywood I had laying around and some select pine for the trim. I liked the look of the top in the plan but wanted some more texture to it, so I used a solid piece of plywood for the top and layer pine for the trim features. I tested my new chisels to recess the hinges to minimize gapping under the lid.

We painted it solid black to match the rest of the basement furniture. A few coats of poly finished it off for durability.

This took about 2 months for me to get around to finishing. That's probably about...12 hours of actual work, plus finishing.

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Pine boards and BC pine plywood
Finish Used
Valspar spray primer, Rustoleum Painter's Touch Black (2 coats), Minwax Water-based Polycrillic (3 coats)
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate