Brookstone Storage Bed

Submitted by etbuogie on Sun, 03/18/2012 - 19:41

I made modified the plans to make the bed a full instead of a twin. This was a little tricky, because the full bed is bigger then a 4x8 sheet of plywood. If you are interested I can get pics of the extra support I had to build to suport the plywood seem. I also used redoak, which is why it cost so much. The extra money was well worth the cost when you use the finish. The headboard I used is from my wifes great grandmas' house in Southern Louisiana. It is 125 year old cypres storm shutter.

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
400.00
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Redoak
Finish Used
General Finishes Oil Based Gel Stain in Java. With three coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil and Urithane Topcoat Satin. I was worried about staining, because I have not had good luck in the past with getting an even stain. This stuff was very easy to use. In the photo the stain looks a little uneven, but that was from the flash. I have tried using Minwax before, and had a horrible experiance with it. This stuff though I would recomend to anyone. Only downside is that it is more expensive, about 20 bucks for a quart of stain, and 15 for a quart of topcoat. Well worth the money for the finish. On the Headboard I used Watco Teak Oil. They just happened to be almost the same color.
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate

Comments

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors