This was a fun and pretty easy project. My oldest son has been asking for some bunkbeds for awhile now, so I was glad when I ran into these plans.
The project was realitively cheap, but if I could do it again, I would have used nicer material to avoid some of the finishing work. I built this in one day, but spent sevral weeks on the finishing work, which included two coats of primer and LOTS of wood filler. I took all the edges through my router, so everything would have a nice rounded edge. I also decided to put a cap on the headboard, footboard and rail to finish off the project a little. I liked the look of thes being added.
The original project does not include slats in the pricing and knowing that firrying boards were not strong enough for this task I really wondered what I was going to do. Buying a ton of 1x2's can add up fast, so I decided to make them out of cheap 2x4's. I bought a few 10' 2x4's that allowed me to get six slats out of each of them after I ripped them on my table saw. They ended up being very sturdy 1 3/4" x 1 1/2".
******If I was going to do this project again, I would mark the location of every screw, as I hit some of the screws holding the 2x6's of the headboard and footboard with the lag bolts I used to hold the main rails. I would have also painted all of the pieces individually, put it together and than touched it up, as there were many hard to reach areas with the paint. This would have improved the finish*******