Cedar Planter

Submitted by bclute on Tue, 12/08/2015 - 10:28

I built these out of necessity to keep my tipsy Christmas decorations from blowing over. The last couple years I spent a lot of time picking these trees up off the ground. I like how they turned out and were relatively easy to build.

I was excited I got to use my Kreg Jig for the first time, which looked more difficult to use than it actually was. Although these are cedar planters I used all pine from big box orange. Some leftover from the farmhouse queen bed I built and the rest I purchased.

The finish didn't turn out as grey as I would have hoped using the steel wool and vinegar, but I still like the aged look. I added the "x" detail in the front afterward and instead of staining my wife thought it looked better natural. Either way I would have been happy. I will be able to use these year round in some capacity.

Estimated Cost
I used some scrap and some new, but these cost me about $15 each
Estimated Time Investment
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Type of Wood
Pine
Finish Used
Steel Wool and Vinegar followed by Thompsons Water Seal
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner