Custom Kentwood Bookshelf

Submitted by presbywf on Mon, 10/13/2014 - 12:03

This is a modified version of the Kentwood Bookcase to be shorter and wider to fit my space.  I used my router for the first time on this project giving the legs and top a little bit of flair.  I also wanted it super glossy, so I applied three coats of Minwax high gloss polyurethane.

One lesson I learned for my next project is that "stainable" wood filler isn't actually stainable.  I'm quite disappointed with how visible my Kreg pocket holes are on the front - I'll be sure to make sure they're all hidden next time.

 

 

 

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$40 for stain, brushes, and rags. $80 for wood. $10 for tongue and groove backing
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Pine from Home Depot
Finish Used
Minwax preconditioner. Minwax jacobean oil-based stain. Three coats of Minwax high gloss poly
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Comments

booksnotbombs

Mon, 10/13/2014 - 13:32

This is beautiful! You did a good job, and I love the finish. I can't see the pocket holes in your finished pictures even after you pointed it out.

I used wood filler that was tinted the same color as the stain last time, and it was great.

Tip Toe Adventures

Mon, 03/30/2015 - 20:23

Wow!!! This is so beautiful, and the stain job on pine...just wow!! You did such a great job with the router and I can't even find the kreg jig holes even though you said it. The plugs made for those work out perfectly though and are pretty cheap for a huge bag to have around.