My friend had a few leftover ceiling tiles from her new kitchen and I put them to good use. For almost a year, they hung, attached to a simple 2x4 frame.
You can see it in our <a href="http://www.lifewithfingerprints.com/2014/08/back-to-school-dinner-2014…">Back-to-school dinner</a>.
But the edges were rough and it looked unfinished and not quite what I needed for the space. So the ceiling tiles received a makeover.
I built a large frame using 1x4 and 1x3 boards. Using my Kreg jig I made a large rectangle with the 1x4s and then made it look more substantial and thicker by adding 1x3s.
Of course after making the frame, it sat in the office as I debated stain or paint. Once I settled on paint, it sat for another two weeks while I figured out a color. I ended up going to my paint stash and picking up the color I originally used for the <a href="http://www.lifewithfingerprints.com/2013/04/diy-barn-door.html">barn door</a> (I decided against it because I wanted the door to have a little punch!). The color wasn't great for the door, but it was perfect for the frame.