After dreaming about a new bed for ages, I finally built up the nerve to make our own. This was actually pretty easy, but it helped to have hubby there for some parts, just because of the size and weight of this thing.
My 1x8s were 7.25", so to compensate, I just added a single 1x2 in the middle. Perfect fit!
We like to move (!) so we modified the bed to be easily moveable. I purchased some heavy duty bed hardware from Amazon ($25) and deck/joist hangers from Lowes.
I put the deck hangers on the bottom of the 2x10s, and the 2x4s sit vertically and free in the hangers. So, next time we move, we'll just pick up the 2x4s, and unlock the 2x10s from the head & footboards and take off! :)
We lowered the 2x10s so that the total height of the mattress + box spring + vertical 2x4s wouldn't be too high for me to climb on to every night. I have knocked my toe nail on the side rail a couple of times already, so maybe in hindsight I should have raised it a teensy bit.
I did forget to decrease the length of the side rail, since we didn't hang it on the inside like Ana did. That's an easy fix, though.
For the finish I used Weathered Gray stain first....and freaked out because it looked SO gray! But I convinced myself it would turn out, so I kept going. Next I did some heavy sanding, followed up by Special Walnut stain. Finished up with a coat of furniture wax over the layers.
We LOVE our new bed! Thanks, Ana, for the plans and your website! Next up: replacing those 1999-era side tables and dresser! :)