This was my first project, and I did it together with my two oldest children (13 & 11).
We started with the basic Kentwood Bookshelf plan, but wanted to have it a little shorter to make use of the tabletop. We also wanted it wider to fit a specific location in my daughters' room.
Broadly sticking to the Kentwood instructions, we measured the longer space we had and what that would mean for each of the measurements for the cuts. It was tricky to get the measurements right for the 1 x 12s in the middle which had to be a little longer than the 2 x 2 and 1 x 2 frame fronts to fit snuggly, but we got there.
We finished the top and back with 1 x 4 boards instead of planking. It added cost and weight (whole thing probably weights 150 pounds), but hopefully it will last a long long time. We routed the front edge of the table top to give a nicer finish.
Painted it white in the end. Tried to put a clear coat over it, but made a mistake of using an oil-based clear coat which turned the whole thing yellow. Had to sand it down and repaint. Ugh. Lesson learned!
We're very happy with the results.