Lilia's Dresser and Nightstand

Submitted by EngrTodd1 on Sun, 09/18/2016 - 08:34

I made this dresser and nightstand for my oldest daughter when we moved her into her "big girl" room, as we were expecting a second daughter who would take the nursery.  I ended up modifying the design a bit with the side panels to have them more closely replicate the multi-layered look of the actual Pottery Barn dresser.  I wanted to add a nightstand to have another matching piece for more storage.  I ended up taking some average dimensions from other kid's nightstands online and designed and built it in the same style and manner as the dresser.

 

The overall project took WAY more time than i thought it would but I'm very happy with the way it turned out. This was the first time that I used a router to cut grooves in the drawer box pieces to slide in and lock the drawer bottom in place.  Also, this was my crash course with an HVLP sprayer as well.  Hopefully, these pieces will be able to handle all of the abuse my 3 year old daughter will surely give them.  Thanks to Ana for the wonderful plans!  Also, thank you to Ed for his detailed write-up on his modifications, http://www.edhart.me/2015/05/how-to-build-a-kendal-extra-wide-dresser/.

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$600 for both dresser and nightstand
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Poplar Lumber, Birch Plywood, Select Pine for 2x2s longer than 36"
Finish Used
Zinsser BIN Shellac based primer.

Rust-Oleum Satin White Enamel Paint top coat.

Applied with Rockler HVLP sprayer.
Recommended Skill Level
Advanced