Media Console

Submitted by Csaum on Sat, 03/08/2014 - 13:04

Worked on this very casually and intermittently for about 3-4 weeks, though I would consider it a weekend project if you have all materials and tools necessary to complete, and a couple full days to devote to the project. With 2 young kids at home, I was only able to get an hour here and there at a time in my shop to work. I decided to leave off the top flip-down style doors, as our cable box requires line-of-sight to work, and my wife wasn't crazy about having to open those any time we were going to watch television.

I was a bit uneasy about the weight of the top, especially once the tv was placed, without any support bracing directly under the top-center piece of plywood. To add a bit of support, I added a 1x3 brace, attaching it between the tops of the 2 center legs, flush to the underside of the top. Completely hidden, and added just enough peace of mind for me to put my new tv on it, worry free.

Materials: I used maple hardwood plywood, and select grade pine for the finish/edge pieces. I found that polycarbonate sheeting was pretty expensive at my local hardware store, plus I had to special order an opaque finish, so I finished my doors with 1/4 plywood that I had left over from the back panel. I used 4 different grit levels of sandpaper (120, 220, hand sanded with 320, and then used 400 between coats of poly). Minwax Dark Walnut stain and 2 coats of clear satin polyurethane. Kreg jig is a must for a project like this, would have been lost without mine! I love that all the hinges and screws are hidden!

I'm planning to build the matching media towers from this collection next.

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$200-$250
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Maple / Select Pine
Finish Used
2 coats Dark Walnut stain - Minwax
2 coats clear satin polyurethane (400 grit hand sand between coats) - Minwax
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate

Comments

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors