Great project - fun to build and helpful for wheeling my new miter saw around the garage.
I made a few modifications from the original plan:
- I used a 1x4 instead of a 1x3 for the bottom supports to add a bit more of a lip to keep things from rolling off of the shelf. The shelf is big enough to hold my small pancake compressor and ciruclar saw.
- Like others, I added a drawer (1X4 front/sides, 1/4" plywood bottom, 2x2 drawer guides).
- Like others, I went with simple strap hinges and then used some wood to support the wings when open. When closed the supports tuck neatly under the wings.
- I added some 1/4" plywood to make a back. I left enough of a gap at the bottom to be able to sneak my extension cords out to a power strip I mounted on the back.
- I made a fence extension out of a 1x4. I attached this to the left wing using wing nuts and hanger bolts so it is easy to remove if I need to. I spent time measuring carefully to make sure it lined up exactly with the saw's fence. It is nice for supporting longer boards and keeping them straight.