Queen Farmhouse Bed - First of many

Submitted by bclute on Sat, 10/26/2013 - 11:41

This was my first project, and I am happy with the way it turned out. My inspiration came from the bed on the home page. It took many trips to blue and orange stores but now I have the tools I need for the next project. The cost of the project was a little higher than most of the brag posts, because I didn't use any scrap wood and had to buy a sander. If I built it again I could do it for about $100. Same with the time, this project took a lot longer than most because I put 4 coats of paint and did a lot of thinking/planning/football game breaks.

I followed the plans for about 90% of the project. The only modifications I made were on the side rails. I used a smaller board because my mattress has two pads and it was very thick. I went with the smaller side rail so I was able to still keep the storage space under the bed. Also I used joist hangers for the frame. If I were to do it over I would do the same thing, but use more 2x4's instead of the 2x6's. This would have given me even more storage space under the bed.

All in all, very happy with the project and can't wait to use the leftovers to build a twin version and brave the farmhouse table. Thanks Ana!

Estimated Cost
$175 - $200
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Cheap Pine (Douglas Fir posts)
Finish Used
I overdid the paint, and in the end didn't need to. I painted two coats of primer, two coats of semi gloss Valspar Allen Roth Great White Way. I hated the finish, because it was too shiny and you could see every brush stroke and mistake. I ended up sanding over the finish and distressing it and it made it ten times better. Distressed with orbital sander, hand sander and screw driver between the joints.
Recommended Skill Level


Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors