Rekourt Dining Table in Distressed Dark Walnut

Hey all my DIY friends!

 

This is my first build of the Rekourt Dining Table.  Big thanks goes out to Ana and Jen for providing these awesome plans.

 

I think I achieved this table quite well, except for a minor detail where I forgot to sand two pot holes.  It actually created a very rustik look to this table.  I decided to try the steel wool and vinegar solution combined with the black tea for the finish of this table.  I realized it adds so much richness to the wood, it's incredible.  The stain is Minwax's Dark Walnut and I topped it off with a Satin Oil-based Polyurethane.  The top and legs were also physically distressed using a variety of tools I found in my tool chest. Those included screw drivers, lag bolts, worm hole puch I created out of a leftover 2x4, chains, sanding disc, knife, hammer and much more!  That part, although tedious, was fun as it gave me the permission to bang stuff up intentionally :)

 

For the finish, I first started off by sanding very well, talking hours for the entire table. I then went out and distressed the tops in a very random fashion, trying to not repeat any patterns.  As I was doing this, I was waiting for my black tea to seep and be ready for application.  I poured boiling water in a large Mason jar and added 4-5 bags of black orange pekoe tea bags.  I waited about 2 hours before applying it with a foam brush, very liberally.  I allowed the tea to dry overnight and the following day, I applied the steel wool and white vinegar solution. My solution had been sitting for about 5 days, enough to start seeing a bit of rust in the Mason jar. The rusty solution ended up giving the wood an orangy/redish tone, which when seen under the dark walnut, added lots of depth and richness to the color.  Once dry and the wood had turned greyish/orangy/redish, I stained it using Minwax's Dark Walnut stain.  I did section by section, leaving the stain no more than 3 minutes before wiping dry.  I followed this (once the stain was dry) with two coats of oil-based polyurethane in satin (Varathane (Canada's version of the Rust-Oleum poly). I sanded the poly in between coats with 220-grit sandpaper using my orbital sander.

 

Since then, I have gone out to build about five of these, all in different lengths and sizes, including some with removable bases. The angles in the X's are a little tricky when you don't have plans for a specific size, but I have noted these down based on spacing between legs.  If any of you need andgles for specific table lengths, let me know and I may be able to help :)

 

Let me know what you think and happy building!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
Table ($100) and bench ($30) in lumber.
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Pine and Spruce
Finish Used
Orange Pekoe Tea
Steel Wool (#0000) and White Vinegar
Minwax Dark Walnut Oil-based Stain
Varathane Pro Satin Oil-Based Polyurethane
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate

Comments

Ana White Admin

Tue, 12/16/2014 - 12:22

I just clicked on your other images, boy would we love to see the turquoise island and that amazing rolling console up close:)!!!!