This was a fun afternoon project built almost entirely from materials I already had on hand. I finished it off with a coat of Gunstock stain by Minwax, followed by a coat of Cherry stain. I sanded a little between each coat. Next I applied a thin coat of black paint and sanded gently until the stain started to show through (and bare wood in places). Finally I applied a coat of polyurethane gloss. It took about four days to complete the finish and I made it up as I went along. Super happy with the end result. I opted not to add the side bins, but I did add an extra 2x2 on each side, mostly because the 2x2 I used for the legs was a little bowed and the exta piece ensured that they'd stay where they're supposed to.
Rustoleum Gloss Black
Minwax Polyurethane Gloss
(I already had these colors on hand)