Rustic X Coffee Table Woes

Submitted by mrcleland on Thu, 06/02/2016 - 05:56

I started this project a few months ago for a friend. The build went easy enough and was complete is less than a day. The only issue I had was with the X's. My miter saw doesnt cut past 55 degrees and it called for 60 degrees. I had to eye it and the X's turned out less than perfect. It did give me a compelling arguement to upgrade from my 10" to a 12" sliding saw (we will see how that pans out). The finishing was the real problem for me. Ive had issues in the past with not liking the final color and having to sand the whole project over and over until I finally just settle. I was hesitant on the vinegar and steel wool finish but went for it anyway. The top turned orange, almost like a fresh cedar color. I whitewashed it the following day and roughed it up with some light sanding. It looked great. I added poly and the top turned orange again. It was horrible. I had to sand it and start over. I then went with a weathered grey with a whitewashed top coat and it looked great but my friend wasnt a fan. I sanded AGAIN and tried another color. Third time was a charm and the sunbleached stain with whitewash came close to what we wanted to acheive. He likes it, I like it, and eveyone is happy!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Finish Used
Sunbleached Color Stain w/ a whitewash mixture (1/1 white paint and water)
Recommended Skill Level