Side Street Bunk Beds

Our two oldest (both boys) had been needing bunk beds for some time. I came across the Side-Street Bunk Beds and LOVED the design; simple, easy, and most importantly, sturdy!

I used standard framing lumber from Home Depot and picked out the cleanest, straightest boards I could find. For safety (because boys will be boys...), I routed all of the edges of any part they could come in contact with using a 3/8" curved router bit. Along with tremendous amounts of sanding, that was the most labor-intensive part of the project. The Kreg Jig made short work of everything else, and eventually sprayed on the paint (I used Kelly-Moore brand paint, but the color is Behr Cinnabar Red).

Although I could have built the beds for cheaper (I spent upwards of $350+), I wanted to make sure the project didn't look like it was built out of framing lumber. A lot of sandpaper, wood-filler, and extra coats of paint could have been reduced, but at close look you can't even tell the main posts are laminated 2x4's.

For some reason, and I still have to find out, the paint still remained tacky long after drying, but that hasn't kept our boys from loving their new beds! Great design and a fantastic first project!!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$300 - $375
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Doug Fir Framing
Finish Used
Behr Cinnabar Red with Zinsser tinted primer
Recommended Skill Level
Starter Project