Sofa Table.jpg

Submitted by Mike78910 on Mon, 04/06/2015 - 15:07

Just finished this table and am very pleased with how it came out. My original intention was for it to match the gray finish of the one posted with the plans, which it originally did. However, after applying several coats of polyurethane, it changed the color to bring out much more of the brown and now having very little gray. I was also originally planning on adding the hardware on the corners and legs, but decided that because of the way the finish turned out, it would detract more from the appearance than it would add. Just a tip for anyone who is going to try and use the same finishing treatment as the one in the original plan with the vinegar and steel wool. I made the mixture and let it sit in a mason jar, waiting for some visual change to occur to the solution so as to match the picture on the website. After letting it sit for about a week and a half, and not seeing any change and only having what appeared to be clear vinegar still in the jar, I decided to try it out on some scrap wood. It worked just fine. So I guess my point is that you shouldnt be surprised if the solution doesnt appear any different, just open the jar up and try it out.  

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$100
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Various
Finish Used
I used the black tea treatment as described in the directions. I also used the steel wool and vinegar solution after applying the tea. I then used the steel wool I still had to sand down the finish. I then applied three coats of a water based polyurethane to he body and four coats to the top.
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Comments

ewing.111

Mon, 04/06/2015 - 20:55

Thanks for the tip about the steel wool,thats a good one. Great looking table too.

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors