Shared room? What about adding a corner hutch between beds? It acts as a headboard for both beds and contain storage. We've got you covered with the free plans below.
We also have plans for twin storage or captains beds here.
Are shown above. Remember that a twin bed runs about 75" long to fit the space.
ROOM MEASUREMENTS Ready to build it? Go measure your room and make sure you've got 116" of space in two directions in a corner. I could actually see a setup like this in a family room. And somewhere, someone's gonna put a TV on top and use the corner unit as a footboard instead of a headboard. I won't tell on you.
- 7 – 2×2, 8′ Long, Furring Strips
- 2 – 32″ High x 40 1/2″ Long (or longer) Wainscoting Panels OR 1 sheet of 1/4″ plywood or MDF
- 2 – 1×8 Boards, 8′ Length (Pine is cheapest)
- 1 – sheet of 3/4″ plywood or MDF
- Edge Banding (if you are using plywood and staining the bed)
- Wood Filler
- Wood Glue
CUT LIST FOR THE BOX
- 4 – 2×2 @ 40 1/4″ (Tops and Bottoms Box Ends)
- 4 – 2×2 @ 29″ (Legs for the Box Ends)
- 6 – 2×2 @ 37 1/4″ (Supports)
- 2 – 32″ High Wainscoting @ 40 1/2″ (Panels)
CUT LIST FOR THE TOP UNIT
- 1 – 1×8 @ 40 1/2″ (End)
- 2 – 1×8 @ 39 3/4″ (Long Dividers)
- 1 – 1×8 @ 14 1/2″ (Short Divider)
- 1 – 1×8 @ 24 1/2″ (Final Divider)
- 1 -1×2 @ 24 1/2″ (Cleat for Support Lid, 1st one installed)
- 1 – 1×2 @ 23 3/4″ (Cleat for Support Lid, 2nd one installed)
Work on a clean level surface with straight boards and check for square after each step. Always predrill and countersink every screw. If you are working with MDF, use Drywall screws and be sure to predrill the entire length of your screw. Use glue. Be safe and have fun.
WAINSCOTING Measure and cut your wainscoting to fit one side of the box. Then add the second piece. Attach with 1 1/4″ screws and DO NOT GLUE on all four edges. You want these pieces removeable so that you can move it in and out of a room. NOTE: If your doorways are larger than 32″ you can move this unit without disassembling, but just in case you move to a different home, I would still not glue this step.
ASSEMBLY Attach from underneath the top unit to the base unit using 2″ screws. Don’t glue so that removal is easy to do. You may also wish at this point to drill holes in certain point to create a “Smart” storage unit. You could hide cords in the “secret compartment” and keep cell phone chargers, laptop cords, or cords for media units tucked away neatly.