This project was one that I've been planning for about 18 months- I had to wait until we moved back into our home to start the build, so I had plenty of time to think about how to maximize my storage space in this small room with a slanted ceiling. My husband had some time off from work and offered to watch our toddler during the day time- so that was all the motivation I needed to start this big build!
Overall, it took about a week from beginning to end. The cost was between $400-$500 for everything- including hardware, paint, supplies etc. Still a huge savings over what it would have cost us to purchase desk and storage units to work in this room (I priced them out at about $2000-$2500 - WAAAAY out of our price range).
For the main desk unit I used the plans for the reclaimed look wood bedside table. I modified the height of the legs to 28" tall so that the sewing desk height was correct for when I'm sitting at my machine for hours on end. I also modified one of the units to be an open shelving unit, so that I could store my patterns and misc. sewing notions in baskets on the shelves.
The desk top was created by using six 1 x 4 whitewood boards joined with pocket holes. The corner joint is "woven" in a sense to give a unique look to the unit. I used 4 brackets in the corner (secured to the studs) to support the weight of the corner of the desk. I used Dark Walnut stain and then followed up with 3 coats of Poly (sanding in between each coat).
The two fabric/machine storage bins were made using the cubby bookcase plans as a base. Both plans were modified to maximize fabric storage with the small space- hence no face frame on each unit. The middle storage unit is one that was my first build a few years back, before I'd even heard of knock off wood- oh how it would have been so much easier if I'd known about this site back then. I added a plywood top with a piano hinge to fold out for a stand up cutting unit. For the legs, I simply went to the table/baluster aisle at my local hardware store and purchase some hardware to secure two balusters to the plywood top. Screwed them in on the outside of the window frame so I don't have to unscrew the legs every time I fold it up and away, cut the balusters down to the proper height and that was done!
The ribbon/wrapping paper storage was super easy- just used some of my left over 2 x 2 furring strips, along with 14 dowel rods and 1 /14 screw in hooks. I pre-drilled the holes for the screw in hooks as well as the 3" screws I used to mount it to the wall.
The thread holder was a previous build of mine as well- just cut out LOTS of dowels that fit into the peg board and glued them in place. Added a little decorative trim to finish it, and painted it white.
Overall I could not be more excited about how this build turned out...aside from wood working, sewing is my next favorite thing (I have a small Etsy shop and do local craft fairs for fun). Having the stand up cutting station is a HUGE relief, as after 10 or so years in the Army, my knees and back are shot (who would have ever thought that jumping out of airplanes wasn't good for you!) The fabric storage is great and allows me to see all of my different fabrics so I eliminate over-buying (which I obviously have a problem with) and purchasing doubles.
I can't thank Ana enough for her website- I grew up with a dad that builds everything, but was always a bit intimidated when it came to building stuff for myself. Her plans really break everything down to the simplest level of instruction and make the building process stress free. This was my first time building a cabinet unit and I was very worried about the drawers not working, but I just followed along on the instructions and they came out perfect.
Minwax dark walnut with Rustoleum POLY top