Kindergarten Bookcase

Submitted by MikeB on Tue, 11/15/2011 - 10:49

Here is my first attempt at this bookshelf. Don't own a pocket hole jig, so I used screws(1 x4 shelves) and brads(Molding) through side boards. Gotta invest in the Kreg jig for future projects. I used a jigsaw with a guide to cut the back panel. I cut it a little outside the line and sanded it flush with the sides. (no table saw, either)...

For the fronts, I used molding. I found out that the pre-painted molding, doesn't like to hold paint. Took several coats of the Hunter green to cover sufficiently for the base coat. Time estimate was given for construction and sanding. Thanks for the awesome design Ana. My wife's Kindergarten class should really enjoy this in the classroom along with the Kinder-nook.

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
less then 30 dollars
Estimated Time Investment
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Finish Used
Hunter green Latex as the base coat. Pure white latex, dry brushed after about an hour dry time after last base coat was applied. Finally, a Polyurethane finish to seal. This was my first attempt at dry brushing. It is very easy, just make sure that you blot your brush really good prior to brushing on.
Recommended Skill Level