I attached the tilt out portion using a Kreg jig and eventually removed the brace (it wasn't necessary and removing the brace gave it a cleaner look.
I used 2 x 2 as a trim around the outside which also allowed me to hide the hinge.
Other than that -- followed the build pretty closely. I used a cable on either side to stop the tilt out from falling to the floor (which allows me to leave it open as well.
This was my first project and it was a battle to figure out how to install the hinges and I did not love my jig saw work with the plan feet so I bought and installed furniture replacement feet which turned out much nicer (IMO).