Do you need a bench with maximum storage? A wood chest or trunk can provide tons of storage and act as occasional seating or even tabletop surface.
Save hundreds of dollars by building your own wood trunk or chest. This is a free project plan with step by step diagrams, video tutorial, shopping and cut lists - everything you need to be successful at building your own wood trunk!
Pin For Later!
- 11 - 1x6 @ 5 feet long (can also buy 10 foot 1x6 and cut in half)
- 1 - 1x8 @ 5 feet long
- 3 - 2x2 @ 8 feet long
- 100 - 1-1/4" pocket hole screws
- 1-1/4" brad nails
- wood glue
- piano hinge or 3" butt hinges (three)
- toy box lid supports
- 3 - 1x6 @ 58-1/2" - bottom
- 6 - 1x6 @ about 16-1/2" - measure and cut to fit - sides
- 8 - 1x6 @ 60" - front/back/top
- 2 - 2x2 @ 58-1/2" - bottom frame
- 2 - 2x2 @ about 15" - measure and cut to fit - bottom frame sides
- 3 - 2x2 @ about 14" - measure and cut to fit - under lid supports
The next day, I whitewashed with a paint and water mixture.
I then sanded lightly with 220 grit sandpaper.
The top applied a light coat of water based polyurethane.