Build your own bunk beds with free plans by Ana-White.com. Step by step plans with shopping lists, cut lists and easy to follow diagrams.
Also can be built as a low bunk bed - perfect in younger children's rooms - they are easy to access, easy to change bedding, and just as fun as a taller bunk (and no mess under the bed).
Pin For Later!
- 4 - 2x4 @ 10 feet long
- 6 - 2x6 @ 10 feet long
- 4 - 2x2 @ 8 feet long
- 10 - 1x4 @ 8 feet long (for bed slats)
- 100 - 2-1/2" long self tapping wood screws (star bit #8 recommended) - for main construction, can be as long as 3"
- 80 - 1-5/8" long self tapping wood screws (star bit #7 or #8 recommended) - for screwing slats down only
- 5 - 2x6 @ 75" - cut first
- 6 - 2x6 @ 41" - cut from leftovers after cutting the 75" pieces
- 1 - 2x6 @ about 55" - measure and cut to fit - cut from leftovers after cutting the 75" pieces
- 7 - 2x4 @ 50-1/2" - legs / ladder sides (64-1/2" for standard bunk bed)
- 2 - 2x4 @ 18" - ladder rungs (cut 3 for standard bunk bed)
- 4 - 2x2 @ 75" - cleats for slat system
- 20 - 1x4 @ 38" - slats
TIP: Before cutting, paint or stain all the 2x4 and 2x6 boards. Then cut the prefinished pieces.
After final assembly, you can touch up the cut ends.
For the standard option, leave 8" under the bottom "rung"
Build two of the end panels as shown, with the 2-1/2" screws.
If not building the bed in the room, it will not fit through doorways when it is complete. So these screws will be removed in later steps. Do not glue if you will be disassembling for moving.