Blanket Chest and DVD Shelves

Submitted by Robinwood on Tue, 02/14/2012 - 19:55

These were all Christmas projects...My daughter needed a blanket chest, so I used Anna's Toy Chest plans - modifying them to add a lid (which also functions as an extra seat). I made the dimensions larger because she had some really large blankets to store and also added some fancier trimming. Her husband wanted DVD storage in their room, so I built the cabinet and painted it to match the blanket chest. I do most of my building in the evenings, so it took a couple of days to build these - the finishing took the most time over several evenings. Also shown is the mail organizer, with an airplane motif because of my grandson's love of airplanes.

Estimated Cost
$100.00
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Pine and plywood
Finish Used
Paint and polyurethane finish
Recommended Skill Level

Comments

Sandie

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 14:48

You did a great job on all of it! I especially LOVE the brown color!!

relye4b5

Tue, 03/12/2013 - 19:42

This looks amazing! I'm wanting to do something similar... a 28"x41" toy box that could double a a lounge seat. Would you be willing to share your plans for the lid addition? I really love the lip on the lid to keep the cushion in place!

Robinwood

Mon, 04/01/2013 - 12:56

Sorry, I hadn't noticed there was a new comment. I am one of those who just look at something or see a need and form plans in my head (I'm not good at writing them); so I don't have any plans. I just cut the lid so that it would overhang an inch on the ends and front. Then I cut a 1x2 the length of the lid and attached it on top of the lid at the back (the 3/4 side against the wood). The 1x2's for the end of the lid were cut to fit; the fronts rounded with a jig saw; then attached. I hope this helps.

Bardowl12

Fri, 07/24/2020 - 03:58

Antioxidant effects in Kratom herbal medicine play a good role in supporting the treatment process for various conditions, such as cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, dementia, and some cardiovascular diseases. Buy Kratom

Bardowl12

Mon, 08/03/2020 - 03:43

For individuals who unfortunately have to deal with health ailments and illnesses at some point in their lives, there is a lot to be said about making it a point to understand the different approaches to medicine and treatment and how each of these approaches can and do prove themselves to be exceptionally advantageous and beneficial for the affected individual in question. Consider alternative medicine, for instance. Maeng da Kratom