Bathroom corner vanity

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 06/12/2017 - 12:49

This project started because a corner bathroom vanity that fit my space requirements and budget did not exist. A plan specific to what I exactly needed also did not exist. After combing through what plans I found online, the Wall Kitchen Corner Cabinet best matched what I wanted. I modified it with the Momplex Sink Base Kitchen Cabinet in order to turn it into a sink base.

 

But, there was a problem. I hadn't actually built anything before. In order to get at least one project under my belt, I built the Vintage Step Stool. It turned out great, so I figured I was ready to go! Strangely enough, after spending about $100 and several weekends picking away at this project, it was done! It looked great, even. Then, I moved the vanity into the bathroom and realized that, while it may have looked great, it wasn't very square. Lesson learned was that this is a two person project. It is too difficult to keep things square and screw at the same time when there is only one person.

 

At this point, everyone was tired of having to use the kitchen sink to brush their teeth and wash their hands, so we needed to get this project done. $100 later, we had more material. Since I had figured out what needed to be done with the first vanity, let's call it our prototype, the second vanity went together REALLY quickly. 

 

Within a few hours, it was pieced together. Since it was going to be painted, we used Bondo to cover up our imperfections. Yes, of course there were imperfections. While much better than the prototype, it still was only my third woodworking project. Sanding, caulking, and priming took another hour or so. A few coats of the finish paint went on, followed by a couple more coats of a clear sealer, and it was done.

 

We moved it into place, screwed it to the wall, put the soapstone countertop on along with the sink and faucet, and it truly was complete. Sink is Kohler, faucet came from our local Habitat for Humanity store and I'm not sure what brand it is, and the soapstone came from soapstones.com. If we had oiled the soapstone with mineral oil, it would be a very dark gray.

Estimated Cost
$100-$150 for the wood, screws, caulk, primer, paint, and clearcoat.
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
PureBond Plywood and birch trim
Finish Used
Pratt & Lambert Azalea 5-12 and Designer White 33-1 for the colors. After each application dried, I sanded it with a very fine grit sandpaper to make the finish silky smooth. I also used our air compressor to blow the dust off, and then used a damp cloth to wipe it down before applying more coats. That worked better for me than using a tack cloth. Then, I added a few coats of a water based, heavy duty floor finish, meant for wet areas. I don't recall what brand it was.
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate