Cubby Storage System

Submitted by beckysnest on Fri, 04/01/2011 - 11:04

This was my first building project ever! Even though it took longer than I expected to complete (I have four tiny kids and snagged an hour here and there during nap time over the course of many months), it was absolutely worth the time investment (and wait)! Hanging the doors was tricky (my awesome husband tackled that part), but other than that it was easy to put together. Finishing it was the hardest part by far. If I were to do it again, I'd probably do some preliminary sanding of the boards before putting them together and I would most certainly not use oak (I was talked into it by the HD guys) especially since I ended up painting it. I think it would have turned out just as great if I'd used a cheaper wood or MDF. Thanks for the plans Ana!

Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Finish Used
Started with two coats of Behr Ultra Interior Satin (paint w/primer) color matched to Martha Stewart Barn Red (sanded between coats). After one final (light) sanding to distress, I finished with one coat of Ralph Lauren Glaze in Tobacco that I had on hand (brush on one side of surface and then quickly wipe away excess with an old rag--moving the rag in the direction of the wood grain). The glaze brought out the wood grain more and helped tone down the exposed wood.
Recommended Skill Level