A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and little did I know how many papers and supplies come with having it. For a couple weeks our kitchen counter was just littered with testing supplies and literature, it got the where I couldn't take it anymore. I decided to build this little set of shelves; so darn cute and a quick, inexpensive build. It took me about 5 hours total to complete the assembly and paint job and another hour or two to finish the stenciling. I am using it for all my diabetes accessories but it would work great as a little organizer for all that clutter that inevitably congregates in little piles on the kitchen table and counters.
One modification I made from the original plan was the angled cuts at the top; we unfortunately don't own a jigsaw so I just cut the side boards at a 30 degree angle to the corner instead. My shelves are also only 3/4 of an inch instead of 1 inch because I miss measured and did not buy enough supplies. So instead of waiting until I could get back to the store I ripped one of the 2X6 boards in half so I could utilize both sides.
To save a little money as lumber is pricey where we live, I bought 1- 2X6, 1-2X4, (both of these I match booked and ripped to create more material) and utilized 2 inch drywall screws which I countersank and filled before painting. Total cost was about $16 (I utilized paint was already had)