Shoe Dresser

Submitted by LacyLou on Sun, 08/12/2012 - 18:10

This little dresser kicked my tushy! It was my second project and I was feeling confident coming off that first one and boy was I brought back to reality quick. If the measurements and cuts aren't perfect and I mean perfect it takes a lot to fix it and make it work! But I finally got everything worked out and it looks pretty great in my little foyer I think. I stuck to the plan everywhere but the 1x2's that go across the "drawer" parts because my wood had a slight warp to it I needed a 1x2 running vertical up the back to keep my shelves even and therefore the original 1x2's wouldn't fit. You can see it in the open picture. I used jute webbing in place of the 1x2's to keep the shoes in place. The front is quarter inch ply added to make it look like a dresser with cabinet. I took someone else's idea to use the ply from the brag post and found a dresser to emulate. That part was actually pretty simple! I love this site for that very reason, so many great ideas in one place! I painted the inside a barn red for a surprise pop of color and that's that.

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
75.00
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
pine
Finish Used
couple different minwax stains I had already for the front and carcass dark walnut and gray I think in different dilutions. The inside is rustoleum spray paint in colonial red satin finish. Finished with spray poly satin on the front semi gloss on the carcass.
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate