Do you have a DIYer on your Christmas List? Know someone that wants to start working on projects but doesn't have the tools?
Here's the essentials that every DIYer enthusiasts needs. Consider buying the same brand of tools so they can all share the same battery.
- Cordless Drill - 18 volt, not an impact drill if you can only choose one drill)
- Cordless Circular Saw - 5-1/2" blade cordless saw
- Cordless Brad Nailer - 18 gauge brad nailer with nails
- Cordless Random Orbital Sander - battery operated, add some sanding discs
- Kreg Jig - Any size will be appreciated
Want to spoil your woodworking friend? These are the gifts that will bring on the squeals of delight! Why? Because these are the tools that will take projects to the next level!
- Cordless Jigsaw - for making curved cuts
- 10" Sliding Compound Miter Saw - for making better cuts faster, can also cut at angles and bevels quickly and easily
- Cordless Crown Stapler - if you want to add fabric or canvas to project, for example, upholstering a bench or attaching canvas to frames
- Cordless Hot Glue Gun - for when no other fastener will work, or when you are attaching mixed materials. Also great for attaching corners of picture frames.
- Cordless Router - For finishing edges and taking material out of wood. You can router out channels or create decorative edges, or even use to cut round tabletops.
The Stocking Stuffers
If you have someone on your list that has a few tools already, or you aren't shopping for a big ticket item, here are my recommendations for stocking stuffers. You can't ever have enough screws, nails, sandpaper, or foam brushes.
- Tape Measure - A 16' tape measure is all you need
- Stud Finder - Essential for finding studs in the wall
- Clamps - pick clamps that will work with the workbench. If the workbench has high sides, make sure you purchase clamps with a big enough opening to clamp both the workbench and the project
- Safety Glasses - Amazon affiliate link
- Hearing Protection - Amazon affiliate link
- Drill Bit sets (includes both driving and drilling bits)
- Speed Square
- Foam Brushes - buy on Amazon about $.25 a brush - Amazon affiliate link
- 3/4" and 1-1/4" brad nails
- 1-1/4, 2" and 2-1/2" self tapping screws (I like the GRK brand self tapping finish/trim head and also the GRK cabinet screws at Home Depot)
- Paint brushes - 2" and 3" sizes are best for painting furniture, assortments are always appreciated
- Sanding discs and sanding blocks - to match the sander