I saw Jen's one board challenge post and realized that some wood I got for free off CL a year ago included the right amount of walnut. This seemed like the perfect plan to utilize this beautiful wood in a worthy way. I did not have a 1x8, so I made a butcher block kind of top, which I think I like even better since the colors and grain vary.
Placement of the connecting bolts is quite tricky and led to some misplaced holes : ( The stop blocks to the side of the legs aren't mentioned in her plan, but pictured, and are recommended in order to stop the legs from splaying too far. I used pocket holes for all joinery and no stain, just poly for the finish. The final coat I watered down some water based poly and wiped on for a smooth finish. Love it!