I followed the original plans, mostly. I mitered the corners on the trim and 1x2s, and I used a 1x2 just under the top instead of closing the back since I went with a dark stain (General Finishes Gel Stain- Java, Deft spray poly satin). This is one of my first projects, and I got to play with a block plane, gel stain, pocket-hole plugs, moulding, table saw, and my nail gun for the first time. I was especially pleased how well this matched the dark cabinets in the room. Man, stain is a pain. I may make everything in raw cedar from now on.
General Finishes Gel Stain- Java
Deft Satin Poly (Spray)