My first build - storage daybed!

Submitted by lbadger on Tue, 10/25/2011 - 06:50

I finally did it! I purchased mattresses for our two girls (2 & 4) which have been just sitting on the floor for a while. Wanting to build some simple frames just to get them off the floor I ran across Ana's site. Oh boy! This site is amazing! We have a small house with very little storage so when I saw the storage daybeds I was smitten! The extent of my power tool comfort zone is dimensional lumber and a compound miter saw. Not plywood and definitely not the table saw, so I was a little leery about starting this project. In the end, I tackled it and am so glad I did! Even used the circular saw! Full disclosure, there's probably nothing square about the thing (see additional photos), but like mulch in your garden, trim covers a multitude of sins! I learned a lot and will take my time measuring and squaring for the next one. Also, as some readers commented, I would prime and do at least one coat of paint prior to assembly (that part was definitely time consuming). I also wanted the storage to go all the way back to the wall so I didn't include the center piece of plywood but instead trimmed down a 2x4 to a ~2.5" width and glue/screwed in into the plywood at the top center under the top piece. So far so good! On the finish, I wanted a distressed finish and started using a dark walnut stain but did not like how much it adhered to the paint as well as the sanded down edges. When I picked my daughter up from pre-school that day they had been doing flower rub pictures. I saw that the centers of the black-eyed susan’s and cone flowers came out a beautiful brown color. So when I got home my daughter and I went out and cut some old flower stems and we finished the other two cubby cubes that way. I think it turned out really well! I didn't end up top coating it with anything, I liked the scuffed up paint look. A big THANK YOU to Ana for doing all this work so we can too!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Plywood, pine 1x4's for trim
Finish Used
Benjamin Moore Smoke and Dark Walnut stain for distressed finish on one cube which was replaced with the centers from our black-eyed susans and cone flowers.
Recommended Skill Level

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors