My First Chair!

Aside from a small train table and a vegetable garden, this is my first furniture build! Sadly, I was not able to move past the first step without the help of my husband. I chose this chair because it seemed like a very simple build, but it was quite challenging, even with the help of my hubby.

This chair cost me about $34 to build. I had to buy screws, a square, top coat, and eventually a right angle clamp. The next chair should cost me $4 plus the cost of the paint.

On the next chair, we will definitely switch up steps 6 and 7. It was very difficult to screw in the screws on the very back seat slats once we attached the back slats. Also, side note, it didn't saw in step 6 or 7 which size screw to use, so we used the 1 1/4 inch screws. We used a size 8 in width. My hubby thinks we should have used a 6. I didn't even know screws came in different lengths AND widths!

Our chair ended up a bit loopsided and rough in some areas. I wish I would have sanded it more before painting it. Also, I was way off on attaching the second back chair leg, so I had to cut off a little bit of the left over 1x2 and glue and screw it to the bottom of the leg (see pic below). Then, I shaved off some of the top of that leg with my mitre saw.

Also, I initially tried making this with pocket hole screws, but quickly learned that that level of woodmaking was above my pay grade. I switched back to the 2 inch screws and it was just fine. We used wood filler to hide the screws as much as possible.

Despite how difficult this first build was, and despite how imperfect it is, I am totally in love with the chair and with woodmaking! My husband and I really bonded and enjoyed our time together making this. My 2 year old daughter just loves it (and it didn't break when my children sat on it!). I've already bought the wood for the second chair and, after that, have plans to move on to the Elementary Trestle Table!

Estimated Cost
Estimated Time Investment
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Type of Wood
Furring Strips
Finish Used
Left over Behr paint sample, "Clear Pond." I think this is by Ralph Lauren. Plus a top coat spray.
Recommended Skill Level



Wed, 06/08/2011 - 19:43

Hi - I also thought this would be an easy build for my first project but it wasn't!! I also had a hard time keeping the pieces together (so they could be attached) and I kept having to check where I screwed previously, so I wouldn't put another screw in the same path as the previous one. Nice job and love the dedication it takes to fix and see through things to the end.