Turn a $6 wall mirror into the ultimate beauty cabinet. The mirror slides to the side to access the storage - so the mirror is always visible. Cost is about $25 to build. Free step by step plans by ANA-WHITE.com
- 2 - 1x4 @ 8 feet long - may need more lumber for larger sized mirror
- 2 - 1x2 @ 8 feet long - may need more lumber for larger sized mirror
- 1 full length wall mirror
- 1 set of full extension side mount drawer slides, length smaller than the overall width of cabinet (my cabinet was about 15" wide so I used 14" drawer slides)
- 2 screws for mounting to wall (I used 3" screws and screwed directly to studs in the wall)
- 6 - 1x2 @ width of mirror
- 2 - 1x2 @ height of mirror PLUS 1-1/2"
- 2 - 1x4 @ height of mirror PLUS 1-1/2"
- 5 - 1x4 @ width of mirror
- 4 - 1x2 @ width of mirror (for attaching to wall and attaching drawer slides)
Please read through the entire plan and all comments before beginning this project. It is also advisable to review the Getting Started Section. Take all necessary precautions to build safely and smartly. Work on a clean level surface, free of imperfections or debris. Always use straight boards. Check for square after each step. Always predrill holes before attaching with screws. Use glue with finish nails for a stronger hold. Wipe excess glue off bare wood for stained projects, as dried glue will not take stain. Be safe, have fun, and ask for help if you need it. Good luck!
Nail two of the 1x2s together to make "L" shapes with 1-1/4" nails and wood glue. Build two of these.
Attach sides to the "L" pieces to make the mirror frame, with 1-1/4" nails and glue. All outside edges are flush. Adjust for square.
Add two back pieces for support. Keep flush to back.
Glue mirror into frame. NOTE: I acutally did this at the last step so I could more easily attach my drawer slides.
Attach 1x2 boards for attaching the shelving unit to the wall. I also added additional 1x2s at front for attaching my drawer slides.
For the bottom cleat, I attached it at a height so I could install pipe hangers for holding my hair styling tools. I used this cleat for attaching to the wall at the bottom.
This cabinet works with full extension side mount drawer slides (the silver ones).
Notice how the screw holes for both the shelf part of the drawer slide and the mirror frame part of the drawer slide are in exactly the same location heightwise?
So measure down from the top of both the shelf and the mirror frame (where the drawer slides will be attached) 1-1/2" and a draw a line all the way across the top (the line runs parallel to the top of the shelf 1-1/2" down from the tops). Repeat for the bottom.
Install the drawer slide so the lines you drew are in the center of the screw holes, start the screws right in the middle of the lines you drew.
It is always recommended to apply a test coat on a hidden area or scrap piece to ensure color evenness and adhesion. Use primer or wood conditioner as needed.
We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.