Wood Tilt Out Trash or Recycling Cabinet

Submitted by Ana White on Thu, 05/30/2019 - 10:21

Solid wood tilt out trash cabinet or recycling cabinet plans. You'll love the step by step instructions and diagrams, shopping list and cut list.

photo showing wood trash bin open and closed
wood trash bin cabinet painted red with door closed
wood trash bin cabinet painted red with door open

We love this wood tilt out trash bin because it's a cabinet with a counter top surface, while still providing easy access to the trash.

Updated Plans

This plan has been updated to be easier to build and use less materials.  The original plans are still available here.

wood tilt out trash bin dimensions
Dimensions shown above. Fits trash can less than 16" wide x 22" high x 11-1/4" deep overall.

2 - 1x12 @ 6 feet long

2 - 1x3 @ 6 feet long

2 - 1x2 @ 4 feet long

1 - 1/4" plywood or similar 24" x 14-1/4"

Narrow Hinges (the cheapo kind with flat headed screws)

Knob or Pull

Wire or toybox lid support hinge to keep the door from opening all the way to the floor

Common Materials

2 - 1x3 @ 13"

1 - 1x12 @ 16"

1 - 1x12 @ 11-1/4" - cut at 45 degree angle

Kreg Jig
Miter Saw
Brad Nailer

Use either a Kreg Jig or 2" screws or brad nails to build your box as shown above. The bottom shelf is 2 1/2" from the bottom, at the top. So leave 1 3/4" gap underneath the bottom shelf. Check for square.

Once your box is done, attach back supports to keep the project square.

NOTE: If you would like to access your trash from the back to remove, hold off on placing the center back support until after you install the tilt out door.

Attach front trim with brad nails to the front of the cabinet.

Build the door frame with 1x3s using pocket holes.

Drill pocket holes along bottom edge of 1x12 bottom piece.

Attach to the frame, inset 1" from edges, but held low 1/8" on bottom edge, with 1-1/4" pocket hole screws.

Cut the sides at a 45 degree angle.

Drill two pocket holes on sides.

Attach to door panel and to the bottom.

Cut the 1/4" plywood panel to fit inside the door panel.  Attach with 3/4" brad nails and glue.

Hinge the door to the cabinet. For our tilt out trash cabinet/recycle center, we didn't even have to worry about a magnetic catch - the weight of the tilt out base keeps everything closed nicely.

However, you may need to install either hardware or a chain to keep the tilt out door from opening all the way and bruising your toes.

Comments

guest (not verified)

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 07:29

I don't know how you do it, but about the time I start looking for the easiest way to build something, you come out with the plans for it, you little mind-reader you! Thank you so much for all of your hard work! My husband thanks you as well, because my ideas (and sketchup plans) are not nearly as easy to follow!

Tsu Dho Nimh

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 07:49

And I made a deal with my preschool daughter.

I promised her after I finished the new website, I would spend less time in my office on the computer, and more time with her. Well, the website is done, and she's holding me to our deal.

YAY for Grace!!!!!

Ana, I like your blog, but you have a cute daughter, a hunky husband, and live in a gorgeous state. I will by understanding if you cut back to a post or two a week, because summer is coming, the fish are biting, and the moose are ... doing whatever moose do.

Get out there and have fun!

kaytrishjr

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 07:55

A lot of us followers are Moms too and we understand. I had to realize that I can't build all the time because I have baseball, softball, and acting classes to attend weekly with my 3 kids. So I have to plan my building time accordingly. So, if we're not building 24-7, why should you sacrifice your family to spit out plans 24-7?

Oh yeah, that's why you taught us all how to use sketch up, right?

Time is precious, so spend as much of it with your family as you can! We have enough projects to last us until the next time you post.

Laura (not verified)

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 08:48

Ana,
I check your site everyday, sometimes twice a day!! And it's not to see if you have made another fabulous plan (although I do love to see new fun plans), but I am excited to check the "BUILT BY YOU" section! I love reading what others have been building, how much it costs, what problems they ran into, and to see the beautiful pictures they have of their new furniture. THAT is inspiring to me!

So, take all the time you need with your family, because the Ana-White.com community can help support each othere through this great website you have made for us and on facebook. Have a good spring and summer, and don't stress about "posting"! :)

Pam the Goatherd

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 09:32

Your daughter will only be little for a little while. Choosing to spend this time with her instead of trying to make web-posts seven days a week is the right thing to do. As others have said, I love seeing what other people are building. I've gotten some great ideas for my own projects from them. So go ahead and take care of your family first. We'll talk amongst ourselves and get along just fine until you have the time to get back to us.

Guest (not verified)

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 12:45

You have a wonderful website, and an even more wonderful family. I am sure your daughter is thrilled to be spending time with you. Great Job.

Guest (not verified)

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 12:57

I just got teary-eyed reading trash bin blog post! :) Take all the time you need ~ I'll be busy with the plans you've already posted for a long, long time!!

Guest (not verified)

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 20:23

Ana - You are amazing and have inspired me in so many ways!!

I cannot help but go back to a thought every time I visit your site: why not continue to offer free plans online as you've vowed they will always remain, but also offer to sell a printed book (maybe loose leaf in a binder style so we could laminate the plans - to be workshop-friendly) with all your designs to date?? The book could offer some additional info/advice, etc... I am also learning to sew and found a really cool book called SEW (Sew Everything Workshop) by Diana Rupp and I could envision you developing something similar... I for one would buy one knowing I could sit and peruse that for ideas (sometimes more easily than searching online) and would be supporting you in return for all the incredible hard work you have offered to all of us for FREE. You and your family deserve it.. I wonder how many other of your fans would be interested in something like this??? :) I know it would mean more work in the immediate term but perhaps more income in the long run, thus more quality time with family during hopefully frequent WARM Hawaiian vacations??? Just a thought...

Lindsay (not verified)

Fri, 04/29/2011 - 20:32

...I completely agree w "guest" above saying we will all remain super busy with the many many plans already posted so no need to post any more anytime soon!! you are our "teacher" so would encourage you to enjoy the traditional "teacher" schedule: summers off!!! spend your entire summer with your family!! then in the fall give my book idea some consideration?!?! haha ;)